Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Random BLS rambles

Default Re: Random BLS rambles

Funny, DH and I have been battling the mesh feeders for a few weeks now. My mother has SEEN DD self feeding (melon, sweet potato, hamburger) on multiple occasions but still felt the need to "surprise" us with several mesh feeders as a gift. Umm, thanks but we really don't need them. DH's reaction was even stronger - what the eff are they supposed to do, they look stupid, etc But DD is teething hard core, and the other night I hit on a fabulous new use for the mesh feeders - to hold an ice cube for DD to suck on. However... our ice cube trays must be too big, because to get an ice cube IN the feeder I had to melt it down halfway, which meant DD had very little to suck on. Not to mention, when I handed it to her she just looked at me like, stupid mommy you forgot to take my food out of the bag! Then it fell on the floor and the dogs attacked it. Then my mother sent 4 more, bless her heart. So if anyone wants to try them, you can have ours!
    Last weekend DH and I went out for sushi. Gave DD a piece of very mild kimchi (spicy cabbage) which she sucked on quite happily. Then a california roll which she DEMOLISHED and grabbed a second from the platter! In retrospect, she probably shouldn't have had the little fish roes all over it, but oh well it doesn't seem to have done any harm. The other diners were just staring at her, laughing, shoving food in her face, rice and fish eggs smeared in her hair. It was hysterical.

My 8 year old nephew was getting a kick out of watching my 9 month old son eat an ear of corn....Joking around, I told him "Well Zach, you'll have to help me do a 'corn count' tomorrow". Of course, he looked confused and so I told him "the last time he had corn, I found 15 kernels of corn in his diaper" He laughed, and then said VERY seriously "Well that's a waste of 15 kernels of corn!"
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wasliche View Post
    But DD is teething hard core, and the other night I hit on a fabulous new use for the mesh feeders - to hold an ice cube for DD to suck on. However... our ice cube trays must be too big, because to get an ice cube IN the feeder I had to melt it down halfway, which meant DD had very little to suck on.
    You could also try making little breastmilk frozen pops if she comes around...DS hated this - he was very angry that the milk was sooooo cold...but I do know of lots of people that had success with that. We stuck a paci in a bottle cap full of milk and froze it...but like I said, he yelled at it...hehehe.
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wasliche View Post
    But DD is teething hard core, and the other night I hit on a fabulous new use for the mesh feeders - to hold an ice cube for DD to suck on. However... our ice cube trays must be too big, because to get an ice cube IN the feeder I had to melt it down halfway, which meant DD had very little to suck on....
    Last weekend DH and I went out for sushi. Gave DD a piece of very mild kimchi (spicy cabbage) which she sucked on quite happily.
    I've also heard of people putting chunks of frozen melon or berries in the mesh feeders to use for teething.

I think what is supposed to be unsafe is that the mesh can come unattached from the base and get lodged in baby's throat. I'm sure that's a pretty rare occurrence, especially if you are supervising your child like you're supposed to, but it seems it has happened.

I'd love to see a baby eat sushi! My DD so enjoys interesting, spicy flavors. I almost feel inspired to get some tonight, except most of her food still ends up on the floor and that sounds like a waste of such expensive food.

We've had a horrible ant problem this summer. We don't have a dog, but the ants happily carry away whatever Lizzie doesn't eat.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

No Gerber babies in this house-- last night my 9 month old (no teeth) had a roasted portobella mushroom, roasted snap peas, roasted tomatoes, and polenta for dinner. You should have seen her tear through the 'shroom.

Gavin did manage to not choke on some melon today at the store! And he loves sushi too, but..I eat the raw stuff. I'm not convinced that's super good for him.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Well, I got some of the mesh feeders. He thinks they are toys I put some fruit in them and just let him play. He spent more time waving them around than munching on them. Maybe he's just not interested? Maybe I'm pushing him too much because I want him eating solids before we have our next surgery? Maybe because I'm really sick of pumping and would love to cut down to just 2-3 times a day when he's 12 months old? Who knows. But I've always delayed solids on purpose, and now that I'm being THAT MOM who is pushing them, maybe it's a mistake.

What a ramble...

Had a 10% off coupon for Munchkin feeding items at Target, so at least they didn't cost me $7
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

jack gets all crazy when we eat dinner, so i try to give him something and he gets even more upset maybe because he cant really control his hands too well, i cant figure it out. so i've stopped offering anything.

we tried watermelon tonight, it was a big hit
    it was a bit slippery so i helped him hold it sometimes, but overall he handled it well. i actually felt very proud of him

photo.jpg

havent heard from this thread in awhile ...

jack had roasted zucchini slices tonight and devoured them