Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Random BLS rambles

Default Re: Random BLS rambles

we are not quite ready for solids, jack is 5 months. he is actually grabbing everything i eat though, is that a sign for readiness? he sits in his high chair but he stiil needs to get better at picking things up.

i am not going to do purees but should i start giving him a few things on his tray? like mashed potatoes or something? i feel like i want to wait a bit more, he's just so crazy when i eat anything that i am unsure.

also, i think i would have no idea what to do if he did start choking. Susan, did you actually need to hit gavin on the back?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    also, i think i would have no idea what to do if he did start choking. Susan, did you actually need to hit gavin on the back?
    Contact your local red cross and take an infant CPR class before you start. You will never need it but you will feel much more comfortable. I have BLS 2 kids and the only time I ever needed it was when DS (the one who ate NOTHING) ate a dime
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

will do! a dime???

a dime???
    fell out of DH's pocket. apparently it is perfect size to block the airway. I has my not quite one year old upside down before he turned blue though. I have never personally known a BLS baby choke on actual food
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

No choking here either, gagging yes, but choking no.

Susan I second the mesh feeder, I don't know why they wouldn't be safe. Unless you leave LO unattended :Shrug We used one for X now and then, I would just buy one and a few packs of extra mesh bags. They aren't too terribly expensive IIRC

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Susan, sorry for all the solids trouble I would wait awhile.

Connor is doing amazing. But you wouldn't KNOW it if you saw all the malarky my mother picks up for him. No jars, but all sorts of snacks, etc. Pouches of organic puree. Some of the Gerber variety that I made her take back. She just doesn't seem to understand that all these foods (even the healthy organic ones) are a marketing ploy. I tried the arrowroot cookies and they taste no different than Lorna Doone's. I'm fine with him having some more snackish things when he is older, but she doesn't get it. And she thinks I am making him "fend for himself" I am just so SICK of telling her to STOP. It is making me scared for when I go back to school.

I have taken a CPR class, and there, we learned how to unchoke a baby. And yep, I thumped him on the back when he stopped breathing. I've never had to do that before, with three BLS babies. This is entirely due to that stupid cleft and pretty common for cleft babies to choke until they figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*meganbeth View Post

Susan I second the mesh feeder, I don't know why they wouldn't be safe. Unless you leave LO unattended :Shrug We used one for X now and then, I would just buy one and a few packs of extra mesh bags. They aren't too terribly expensive IIRC
    I was going to get one today, and I forgot. Oh well. I'll be out running errands again Thursday or Friday.

And then yesterday, I gave him a cracker, and he was fine. I don't know.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post

And then yesterday, I gave him a cracker, and he was fine. I don't know.
    sounds like he's doing well considering and really the puree was the main problem did he like the cracker?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I've never used a mesh feeder. I had this weird impression that those weren't safe I don't know where that idea came from. I probably read it a long time ago

the dog will miss the feeding. I hurled that tray will all the food away, and it went everywhere He cleaned up for me. I didn't even care
    The mesh feeders never really worked for us. They always seemed to get dropped on the floor within a couple minutes. With pets in the house, they just ended up a sticky furry mess. At least with small pieces of food, I just give more if some ends up on the floor. The mesh feeder was just too much of a hassle to clean every time it was dropped. I tried hooking it onto the highchair with DD using rings, but she hated it being hooked onto the tray.

DD's newest thing to do when she is done eating is to drop the leftover food piece by piece down her shirt . It usually all ends up in the front of her diaper.

sounds like he's doing well considering and really the puree was the main problem did he like the cracker?
    It was OK, but then I repeated yesterday, and he choked again. But he got this one out, and I didn't have to help.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wdsmom View Post
    The mesh feeders never really worked for us. They always seemed to get dropped on the floor within a couple minutes. With pets in the house, they just ended up a sticky furry mess. At least with small pieces of food, I just give more if some ends up on the floor. The mesh feeder was just too much of a hassle to clean every time it was dropped. I tried hooking it onto the highchair with DD using rings, but she hated it being hooked onto the tray.

DD's newest thing to do when she is done eating is to drop the leftover food piece by piece down her shirt . It usually all ends up in the front of her diaper.

And I could see that happening here too...Or the dog snatching it, mid-air, and me having to haul him down to the clinic to remove it from his stomach He doesn't look. He just swallows.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!