Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Random BLS rambles

Default Random BLS rambles

Going off the numerous other threads, I thought we could talk about the fun/messy/hilarious/confusing experiences of BLS (Baby Led Solids) here

To start, I just started BLS on Sunday (Connor's half birthday). After the third day, I already found sweet potato pieces in his poop! I am so proud he managed to feed himself.

Default Re: Random BLS rambles

lol thats how I felt when I started to see the peas.

My lo gets a rash whenever anything sticky touches her face....

is there anything other then cheerios thats not sticky?
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katia11 View Post
    Going off the numerous other threads, I thought we could talk about the fun/messy/hilarious/confusing experiences of BLS (Baby Led Solids) here

To start, I just started BLS on Sunday (Connor's half birthday). After the third day, I already found sweet potato pieces in his poop! I am so proud he managed to feed himself.
    Sounds like you timed it right and have a fast learner! My LO is just 4 months, not ready yet but she is very intent on watching me cooking and eating. I am starting to show her foods, telling her what they are and eating in front of her with much enjoyment. I am really looking forward to BLS! I hope people share some pics in this thread, I love see a good and messy baby
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

There are some awesome pictures in the Baby Led Weaning group on Facebook, I posted some of my best there.

The funny thing is, my dear child is messier at two years old than she was self feeding at one year. She never put the bowl on her head until last week - always in the morning if I have to go somewhere now... ack.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

I'm so proud of Lizzie! Her new favorite food is yogurt and I like to spread it on other foods that she's not so keen on eating to get her to try them. But now she's figured out how to successfully use a spoon. I preload it for her with the yogurt, hand it to her, and she guides it to her own mouth. And for the last few days she has even been tipping it up to get the goodies out of the scoop! I definitely didn't teach her that!

(Maybe I'm biased, but I'm pretty sure I've got a little genius on my hands. )
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

I used to be all careful. Not so much now. Gav gets anything

He does choke easily. And that's the cleft. I HATE that hole in his mouth. Life would be so much easier.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

The whole solids thing...it's going BADLY for us. He chokes. On everything. Purees are the worst. My babysitter was really adamant, when I talked to her about it last week, that I should try him on those. So I tried some applesauce. BAD BAD idea. He practically stopped breathing. I guess it went right up his nose and totally plugged him up. I snatched the high chair tray off, threw it away from me and then got him out of the chair to whack him on the back. So...I think we are back to whole chunks of apple that he can't bite off. That sort of thing. I am also thinking of just stopping for now and trying again in a month or two and focusing instead on the cup and SoftSip feeders.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Oh Susan, I'm sorry!! I would just stick with foods he can suck the juice out of too... and maybe even in a mesh feeder, just to be safe. Actually, you could probably give him a larger variety of foods if you put them in the mesh feeder. How SCARY!!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I've never used a mesh feeder. I had this weird impression that those weren't safe I don't know where that idea came from. I probably read it a long time ago

the dog will miss the feeding. I hurled that tray will all the food away, and it went everywhere He cleaned up for me. I didn't even care
    Susan

Huh. Well, I don't know why they wouldn't be safe. I don't use them all that much because it's a huge mess to clean out. Maybe when they have teeth they could rip the mesh out? I'm just thinking if he really wants to eat solids (and I don't know that he does), you could give him tastes of lots of things inside one of those mesh feeders. And all he would be able to get out of there is juice, I think. Well, maybe not if you gave him really mushy stuff, it would probably be like eating purees.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months