Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rooming-in in the hospital? How?

Default Rooming-in in the hospital? How?

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to make "rooming in" useful during the early days in the hospital?

I am expecting my second child. Given the extremely stressful milk supply issues I had with my first, I am focused on getting off to a GREAT start to try to maximize my supply with good habits from day 1.

I think the first thing on my agenda is to use rooming into maximize nursing (as well as asking any hospital staff to help make sure I have a good newborn latch instead of a painflu one!).

I am wondering how can moms (and me in particular) make rooming in useful?
    WIth my first, I could not stand up and found even sitting to be painful/uncomfortable while in the hospital. I generally had to have someone else hand me the baby after I spent 5 minutes propping myself up into a seated position. When the baby was asleep again, I need someone to immediately take it away if I wanted any home of repositioning and getting some rest myself. SO I basically nursed my son whenever they brought him in (supposedly whenever he woke up) but I wonder if there is anyway I could try to keep this baby with me... it's just hard to imagine given my own imobility!

thanks all!!!
    SHannon

Default Re: Rooming-in in the hospital? How?

Did you have a c-section the first time around? Are you planning to do that again? I didn't have that much discomfort, but I had a vaginal delivery, so that's definitely a different story.

If so, could your partner or husband or even your mom, friend, etc. room in with you, at least most of the time? Then they could help you get into position and make sure you get lots of nursing time. My DH slept in a pullout cot next to me when I was rooming in with Joe, and his help was invaluable. I realize this might be tougher with an older child at home. But rooming-in can really make a difference! However you swing it (I think it could be done with the help of some friendly nurses), it sounds like you have the right attitude about getting started nursing with this one, and it will hopefully go much, much easier for you.

P.S. We're here to help you troubleshoot early breastfeeding issues, or if you just want to talk to someone who gets it.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Hi!

I had similarly bad mobility when I had my c-section, and I roomed in. I think it got us off to a great start.

My husband roomedin with me (they had pull out couches for this very purpose), so he helped a lot. I also asked nurses and visitors to help get her in/out of the isolette for me if he wasn't around.

But I also held her a good deal of the time, and had her sleep on my chest. She and I both could catch zzzzs and easily squirm her into nursing position every 90 minutes or so all night long. I actually have very very fond memories of that. I felt like we really bonded that way and that was how I suddenly found myself being much more of an attachment parent than I ever thought I'd be before she was born.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

Thanks!

That does sound like a smart idea, to have the dad room-in too to help with it, and I think there IS a cot in the post partum room.

However, as you guessed, having an older child might make that difficult. We recently moved cross-country so don't really have anywhere to leave my older son. But I may have some intermitten babysitting help and so maybe for a few hours at a time I could keep the baby in the room with me. Every bit helps right!

I did not have a c-section (or epidural or any pain meds for that matter). But I am on blood thinners and last time during L&D I lost a lot of blood (and had a lot of tearing & very long pushing) so that seemed to result in a tough recovery.
    My new doctor is now well aware of these issues and is proactively going to try to help me minimize their impact this time around so I am hopeful things will be a little better on that front too!

thanks for the general support!! I have a few extra challenges this time (less time off from work, primarily) so it's really important to me to try and get off to a great start, get the milk flowing & get past any problems quickly as possible! (last time had painful latch at first, milk supply issues for a long time , and thrush 3 times...)

I will end on a positive note that after a very rough start through his entire first year, my son and I had a wonderful nursing experience for the 2 years after that!

shan

I had a c-section with my first and a VBAC with my second. What helped me was the nurses showing me how to get up. I was twisting, turning, pulling... It hurt!! But they showed me how to best get up, using the rails and the adjustments of the bed. I was moving slow, but moving and with much less pain.

Also make sure you're taking your pain medications. Even if you feel good, you probably feel good because of the meds. Don't allow yourself to be in any more pain than necessary.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ooky View Post
    But I also held her a good deal of the time, and had her sleep on my chest. She and I both could catch zzzzs and easily squirm her into nursing position every 90 minutes or so all night long.
    Interesting! I guess I had it in mind that I'd be too nervous to have a brand newborn sleep in the bed or on me-- just too nervous to actually get any sleep myself. I co-slept with my son for a long time but in the early weeks used a separator thing in bed with us and didnt cosleep at all in the hospital.
    Is that "safe" i guess to let a newborn sleep on your chest? I guess the instincts are there not to let it rolll off :-)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sleckey View Post
    Interesting! I guess I had it in mind that I'd be too nervous to have a brand newborn sleep in the bed or on me-- just too nervous to actually get any sleep myself. I co-slept with my son for a long time but in the early weeks used a separator thing in bed with us and didnt cosleep at all in the hospital.
    Is that "safe" i guess to let a newborn sleep on your chest? I guess the instincts are there not to let it rolll off :-)
    I guess I can't speak for everyone. But I do know that I had no fear doing it myself - it felt totally and completely safe for us. I slept in sort of a twilight state where I was always aware of her breathing and position. It was so wonderful. And none of the doctors or nurses who came in ever asked me to stop it. To be honest, I would have thought that was super scary before I gave birth. But I couldn't imagine putting her down for long once I had her on the outside.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

DD slept on my chest for a long time..and our son always slept on DH's chest.
    It would only make me nervous if I wasn't laying completely flat or if the edge of the bed was too close to me. It did make me feel better that she was close to me and I could feel her breathing.

Well, I hope you have an easier birth this time! You may find it's a breeze! Tearing! OUCH! I had a natural birth, did lose a lot of blood, but I didn't have that, and I felt weak, slow, but basically okay the day after the birth. The day of the birth I had so many visitors it wouldn't have been an issue!

Joe has always been a restless, light sleeper, literally from the day he was born. So I slept with him on my chest at the hospital. He basically never knew a non-human sleep surface until he was about two weeks old. Not necessarily my choice, he wouldn't sleep anywhere else! So I second the idea of cosleeping right there with your baby.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

But I also held her a good deal of the time, and had her sleep on my chest. She and I both could catch zzzzs and easily squirm her into nursing position every 90 minutes or so all night long. I actually have very very fond memories of that. I felt like we really bonded that way and that was how I suddenly found myself being much more of an attachment parent than I ever thought I'd be before she was born.

I guess I can't speak for everyone. But I do know that I had no fear doing it myself - it felt totally and completely safe for us. I slept in sort of a twilight state where I was always aware of her breathing and position. It was so wonderful. And none of the doctors or nurses who came in ever asked me to stop it. To be honest, I would have thought that was super scary before I gave birth. But I couldn't imagine putting her down for long once I had her on the outside.

Both of these describe my experience exactly - even down to finding myself much more of an AP parent than I anticipated, right there in the hospital room

I, too, have really fond memories of rooming in at the hospital. I think I was mostly awake the entire time - maybe twilight dozing here and there at night - I didn't even *want* to sleep, because it meant time away from my new baby

What I did to help feel more secure about having her in the bed was to wedge pillows between me/her and the railing. She would have had to do cartwheels in order to have fallen out. I was told a couple of times to put her back in the isolette, but I just said "ok" and then didn't. Even so, I made sure the isolette was pulled up right next to my bed so that I had easier access to it. Maybe that would help?
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10