Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this normal, or an oversupply issue?

Default Is this normal, or an oversupply issue?

My second son is 10 days old. I was going through nursing pads like CRAZY since the hospital, having to wear layers upon layers of them! I am very happy about it, since with my first I had trouble with supply issues.

Today, I put him in the football position on the right breast, and put my electric pump up to my left breast to catch all the excess instead of a pad. I didn't even turn the pump on, and caught 3 ounces! I was very happy about this, and wondering if it is normal.

Is this oversupply? If so, will it stay this way? I'd kind of like it to, because LO is able to get everything he needs from one breast at a time, and then I can save the milk from the other breast in the freezer for when I go back to work.
    My LO born April 15, 2010
    8 lbs., 13.8 oz.
    21.75 inches

My LO born May 10, 2011
    8 lbs., 2 oz.
    21.5 inches

Currently and a little

Default Re: Is this normal, or an oversupply issue?

At 10 days, a lot of leaking and some engorgement is pretty normal (albeit a great sign that you have an ample supply!). If you are still suffering from engorgement or serious leaking (by which I mean, you know, THREE OUNCES out of your other boob ) after another week or so, then it might classify as oversupply. In the meantime, I would just advise - try to avoid pumping to relieve engorgement if you can. That's one great method of getting really uncomfortable oversupply! If you want to pump to make a stash, do it only once a day. Holding the horn to your breast while you nurse the other side, but not turning it on doesn't count, though. You can do that as much as you want. That's just catching what would otherwise leak!

Way to go, mama! Looks like you are off to a GREAT start!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

with the PP.

Whether or not your supply will stay this excessive depends on you as an individual- some moms spontaneously maintain an oversupply for longer than others- and also on what you do. If you choose to pump, which I wouldn't, you'll be able to maintain it. If you just nurse the baby, eventually your supply should adjust to more or less precisely meet the baby's needs. That adjustment is generally a very good thing, since oversupply sounds great but actually carries some potential negative complications. Too much milk can make it difficult for the baby to nurse, since the more milk you have the faster it typically comes out, it can cause a lot of gas in the baby, and it can set you up for an increased risk of nasty things like plugged ducts and mastitis. So I advise staying away from the pump for now, and just going ahead with catching that excess in a not-turned-on pump or even just a bowl.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Right, I wouldn't shoot for oversupply. What you want is a good supply for your baby, plus maybe a little extra to pump and store. Think about it - you want to be able to leave the house with your baby, and nurse, and not have to carry a pump because your other breast gets super uncomfy! What you want is a controlled oversupply - you can get that by pumping once or at most twice a day for your stash.

And it's true, O/S can cause a whole host of other really uncomfortable problems, like clogged ducts, mastitis, fussy baby from too much foremilk, etc. Whereas a "controlled oversupply" (I just made up that term and I like it!) won't do that. You CAN have extra. You just don't want to have extra ALL THE TIME, kwim? You want to be in control of it.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks for your replies! He is almost 3 weeks old now, and my supply has evened out a lot! There is no longer anything to catch in the pump, and I haven't pumped at all for a few days. My let-down is still very strong, though, and my LO still has a hard time swallowing so fast. He throws up a lot. It is a lot more comfortable not be engorged, I must say!
    My LO born April 15, 2010
    8 lbs., 13.8 oz.
    21.75 inches

My LO born May 10, 2011
    8 lbs., 2 oz.
    21.5 inches

Currently and a little