Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SUPER sensitive supply...why?

Unhappy SUPER sensitive supply...why?

I have a great milk production rate when I want to. If I work really hard at it I can make a lot and I do mean a lot of milk, yesterday I made a new record and I bottled over 41 of US fluid ounces as well as giving 4 full feeds...great, right?

Weellll, not so much because in order for me to do that, I have to express express express express express. I am pumping and nursing and manually expressing and hand expressing around the clock every say, 40 min to 2 hrs when I am awake and I sleep for only 2-3 hours at a time in naps. It's been like this for a good while now. Months back I used to be able to sleep for a max of 4 hours once in a great while and express a little less often and soforth but it was because my son was eating less. All the sudden now my 6 1/2 month old, who is stick thin (he's very muscular, not unhealthy looking at all, just TALL [in 12 month old baby clothes] and a flag pole) is chuggalugging everything in me. Exclusive breastfeeding is out of the question becuase of a variety of reasons, my letdown comes out in a SPRAY sometimes and my son was puking every time he nursed when we tried to do it that way and then there's the fact that he gets hungry every time I try to go to sleep (hey Dad, can you take over for a bit? kthxbye! lol) and I have super super sensitive nipples so despite that he has a good latch and ect ect if he nurses too frequently it starts to hurt. Maybe the spit drying my skin out I speculate? Dunno. Anyway. Doesn't work out well.
    So...

In order to keep my supply upp I have to work that hard...and I have tried slowing it down to see if it stays up and it does not. Why?? Other people tell me that theirs will stay up once they've "got it up", why won't mine do the same...and how can I change it...I'm exhausted, and I flat out REFUSE to stop lactating, nursing ect and formula=the f word to me so I'd rather be miserable and make my family healthy if I have to...but if there's a way I can have my cake and eat it too???
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Default Re: SUPER sensitive supply...why?

What do you mean when you say you can't keep it up? What makes you think it's dropping too low when you back off on pumping?

Is it possible you are thinking too much and paying too much attention to amounts since you are part time pumping? It sounds like your lo may be going through a growth spurt if he's wanting more lately. It's normal for your supply to adjust up and down as needed, which is more obvious when you are pumping because you can see actual amounts rather than just noting that baby is nursing more or whatever.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    What do you mean when you say you can't keep it up? What makes you think it's dropping too low when you back off on pumping?

Is it possible you are thinking too much and paying too much attention to amounts since you are part time pumping? It sounds like your lo may be going through a growth spurt if he's wanting more lately. It's normal for your supply to adjust up and down as needed, which is more obvious when you are pumping because you can see actual amounts rather than just noting that baby is nursing more or whatever.
    yes these would be my questions as well
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tarantamom View Post
    If I work really hard at it I can make a lot and I do mean a lot of milk, yesterday I made a new record and I bottled over 41 of US fluid ounces as well as giving 4 full feeds...great, right?
    This seems like a LOT, did Osrid drink all that milk in one day? Wouldn't that be like 53 oz in a day? Or did you save/freeze some of the EBM?

Since they've found that babies drink a range between approx 20-36 oz per day while BF, it seems like what you described is overproduction even if he is a really really big eater!

So I wonder if you are sort of artificially inducing an OS by pumping/expressing that much, and your body is trying to protect you by downregulating the supply quickly when demand is not that high. So you don't immediately get clogs and mastitis.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ooky View Post
    This seems like a LOT, did Osrid drink all that milk in one day? Wouldn't that be like 53 oz in a day? Or did you save/freeze some of the EBM?

Since they've found that babies drink a range between approx 20-36 oz per day while BF, it seems like what you described is overproduction even if he is a really really big eater!

So I wonder if you are sort of artificially inducing an OS by pumping/expressing that much, and your body is trying to protect you by downregulating the supply quickly when demand is not that high. So you don't immediately get clogs and mastitis.
    This is what I was thinking too. Actually, I was like "FORTY ONE OUNCES!" I've had O/S but I don't think I ever made that much!!

Mothers of twins might have supply that high on a regular basis, but think about it - they are getting a LOT of nipple stimulation. So it's going to take a LOT of stimulation to stay at that level, for sure. That makes sense to me. Because it's almost twice what the average baby actually drinks, maybe your body won't produce it unless it's getting constant signals that it is needed. That is, you're not going to be able "get it up" and then back off pumping, because that's just a whole lot of milk.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

TY for the answers Mamas

Now for some troubleshooting- I know that the supply drops when I pump less b/c I have tried doing so for a day & had trouble making enough milk for the sproglet.

Thing is; I am EXTREMELY prone to mastitis...even when I was making only 15 ounces a day 4 hours was the longest I have ever been able to sleep at any given time without suffering from severely painful engorgement...5 hours=plugged ducts, 6 hours=mastitis. Owwchh! and now I'm lucky to get 3 hours of sleep. I usually wake up in a bit of pain from it but there's not much of a choice. I tried doing that thing (I cant remember what its called now) where you only feed on one side for a couple times in a row n then switch ect to reduce supply to what babys needs are but that did NOT work in my favour. I take 2400 mg of soya lecithin a day too to combat it-it helps, but is no miracle. I have to empty empty empty...which confuses me as I'm an F cup (plenty of boob I think) so I should think my "storage capacity" would be a lot higher.

It isn't all thorns; I just wanted to add---It makes me feel SO good knowing my baby's a "booby baby" , I nursing, my hair is as soft and shiny as it was when I was pregnant, my husband and I have a venue of newfound intimacy and I look like I underwent plastic surgery except more natural LOL.

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997

OH! Yes & as per O.O.'s eating-yes, he is eating ALL of what I am making at the moment. So yeah ooky, talk about a lot of milk...where the heck is he putting it all...!! If they had eating contests for babies I think we could be rich and famous The irony is that, throughout pregnancy I had hyperemisis; was underweight and still managed to have him be overdue by 5 days at birth-and he came out small, healthy but small, for that age at 6.7 lbs...and is now looking like he'll outgrow his tall Mum & Dad ! the whole time I was pregnant the doctors @ the maternity ward kept wanting me to have immediate scans done as soon as they saw me thinking my bump looked like the baby would be too small.

Anyway;
    BACK ON TOPIC Ossie GUZZLES all this milk down and he manages to do so when I'm asleep usually! When I'm awake and he's hungry at the same time I try and just nurse him but the instant I fall asleep as his Dad says he starts saying things like "OOOBA!" (boob) which means he's hungry...he has even tried all means to comfort him after one bottle from bouncing to playing to changing to turning the lights off to cuddling, but he won't settle for anything but more Mummy milk. So it's necessary to do the work to feed him. He's not taking solids yet really either...he has taken 2 bites of food, baby led, a mashed potato bit and a strawberry chunk, but they had about 2 weeks in between them & both times he has ended up savagely unsettled and hyper...and he doesn't show much interest elsewise. So the milking to the point of having a supply for twins seems necessary...

Everybody has their own "storage capacity" and it is not based on breast size. Women with less storage capacity naturally just have to nurse more often to "empty" you know? You can have larger breasts and not have a huge capacity.

As far as the engorgement and mastitis, that usually calms down towards the end of the first year. I was always VERY prone to engorgement, clogged ducts, and mastitis, but around 14 months, I realized, I never felt engorged anymore. It's strange. Anyway, it doesn't mean you don't have milk! Just giving you a head's up. For some women that happens much earlier (I think a lot of ladies write on here around 4 to 10 months basically saying, "I lost my supply!" and really it's just that they don't "feel" full anymore, not that they don't actually have milk). Your body just gets so good at making milk, it almost seems to make it ON demand (like, when your baby latches on) rather than storing it up for hours, yk?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I'm amazed that your baby is putting away 40 ounces of milk a day. Have we talked to you about potentially overfeeding breastmilk in the bottle? Because I just can't believe any baby could eat that much, honestly. My baby was always in the 99th percentile for everything, and granted, I fed him all night at the breast, so who knows how much he was eating, but still, that sounds totally like a WHOLE LOT!

You can call me JoMo!

This is off topic, but your baby can make words to associate with things at 6 months?

And is he regulating his milkflow in his bottles? I'm assuming he is, but I know Connor would chug like a frat boy if I let him. Which I don't lol. Maybe smaller bottles? 3-5 oz should be enough.

and to all your clogged ducts/mastitus. The only thing that happens to me when I sleep too long is I wake up soaked.