Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Tender Breast

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10

    Question Tender Breast

    Dear All,
    I am a new member and new mom. my daughter is 6 weeks old and I 've been breastfeeding since she's born.Despites of all the challenges (nipple sores,latching on,vasospasm, engorge,etc)I think I am in the "OK" situation.
    My new problem now is, I am having tendereness on my left breast and both of my nipples are very sensitive. I've stopped bleeding about couple days ago. I was wondering if that has anything to do with it? or i am having a different problem? or is it normal?

    thank you fr your attentions an responses.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,620

    Default Re: Tender Breast

    tenderness in one breast could be mastitis. have you checked the FAQs to see if your symptoms match? HTH (sorry so short - NAK)
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    18,063

    Default Re: Tender Breast

    I agree any time that I had any pain I took that as a sign to slow down, take the baby to bed and rest.
    If its not fealing beter in a few hours you might have bigger problems going on.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    348

    Default Re: Tender Breast

    Hi there,

    I am also having pain & soreness in my right breast (aside from the yeast infection & sore nipples). It's been going on for two days now. I called my LC tonight and she said it's probably a plugged duct. Alsong with what she said anD what my breastfeeding book said - take a hot shower & massage the breast under the hot water, warm compresses, massage the breast while feeding, use that breast to start each feeding so that the milk will flow and relieve the pain...I have to say that although it still hurts, the pain is less now that I have done some of those things. Maybe you have a plugged duct?

    Mastitis would normally be associated with red or warm areas on the breast and a fever as well.

    You could always call an LC or your OB if the pain doesn't dwindle. Either way, even ifyou have a plugged duct, you will want to try and alleviate that ASAP before it turns into something worse like an infection or mastitis.

    Good luck - I hope you feel better!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,349

    Default Re: Tender Breast

    You may want to check out some ifo on the net about thrush. Mine started with a return of sensitive and then sore nipples. I didn't think of thrush, because the baby didn't have a white tongue. But after a few days, his tongue did get white patches and I knew it was thrush. It started with me, probably from not changing my nursing pads often enough. The dr told me if the pain moved up into my breast, it could mean thrush had entered the milk ducts. Is the pain in your nipples a burning pain? Does the pain in your breast feel like shooting pains?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Tender Breast

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBluebird View Post
    tenderness in one breast could be mastitis. have you checked the FAQs to see if your symptoms match? HTH (sorry so short - NAK)

    Hi Thank you so much for your response. Yes I've checked the FAQ's section. it's really helpful. it didnt occur to me to check it first. Thanks again

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Tender Breast

    Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    I agree any time that I had any pain I took that as a sign to slow down, take the baby to bed and rest.
    If its not fealing beter in a few hours you might have bigger problems going on.
    you're right.. right after i felt the pain i went to bed and laid down for a while, the tenderness went away. I still feel the sensitivity of my breast thou', but it 's not as tender as the other time. thanks

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Tender Breast

    Quote Originally Posted by DebiMommyTo2 View Post
    Hi there,

    I am also having pain & soreness in my right breast (aside from the yeast infection & sore nipples). It's been going on for two days now. I called my LC tonight and she said it's probably a plugged duct. Alsong with what she said anD what my breastfeeding book said - take a hot shower & massage the breast under the hot water, warm compresses, massage the breast while feeding, use that breast to start each feeding so that the milk will flow and relieve the pain...I have to say that although it still hurts, the pain is less now that I have done some of those things. Maybe you have a plugged duct?

    Mastitis would normally be associated with red or warm areas on the breast and a fever as well.

    You could always call an LC or your OB if the pain doesn't dwindle. Either way, even ifyou have a plugged duct, you will want to try and alleviate that ASAP before it turns into something worse like an infection or mastitis.

    Good luck - I hope you feel better!!
    thank you so much for your reply. to be honest i have know idea what's wrong with my breast. I hope i don't have those kind of problems such as, mastitis, thrush or a plugged duck. At the moment I feel better, i don't have the tenderness anymore. just my nipples that are sensitive. I'll keep mind to call my Ob if it gets worse

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Tender Breast

    Quote Originally Posted by Collinsmommy View Post
    You may want to check out some ifo on the net about thrush. Mine started with a return of sensitive and then sore nipples. I didn't think of thrush, because the baby didn't have a white tongue. But after a few days, his tongue did get white patches and I knew it was thrush. It started with me, probably from not changing my nursing pads often enough. The dr told me if the pain moved up into my breast, it could mean thrush had entered the milk ducts. Is the pain in your nipples a burning pain? Does the pain in your breast feel like shooting pains?
    Oh my that is scary.. you have no idea that your response is so helpful. I didnt know that the baby's tounge can turn white from thrush.
    Anyway, i've checked my daughter's tounge and it's fine( no white)
    I am now also getting better, my breast is not so tender anymore..( i didn't know what 'cos them to be so tender before..) I used to have ashooting pain once but it went away. now i dont feel it anymore.
    Is there any test that i have to do to find out wether i hv thrush or not?

    My nipples hurst right after I breastfed my daughter. I spoke to one of the La leche leaders in my area and she thinks i have a vasospasm(speel??)

    thanks alot for your response I really appriciate it

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,349

    Default Re: Tender Breast

    Well there's no test for thrush that I know of...it' diagnosed based on symptoms. Usually the first sign is the white patches in the baby's mouth, but it can start first with mom...in which case, the nipples get really sore, burn and may itch during and after feedings. The nipple will also get pinker then usual...in most cases if you have a case of untreated thrush, the baby will pick it up pretty quickly and then you know for sure. If her tounge is nice and pink, and stays that way, I'd say it's not thrush.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •