Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: "twiddling"

Default "twiddling"

JH is 23 months old...I let the twiddling get a bit out of control, and I'm looking for ways to stop it or lessen without weaning him. He associates nursing with having both sides (totally my fault, but he was such a difficult nursling for the first year that I did whatever it would take to get him to want to nurse)...now he needs to have both sides out when he nurses (which is quite embarrassing in at playgroups and such) I try to cover one side and he freaks out "mama both sides out" As he is falling asleep he needs to be grabbing the other side as well. I always pull his hand off and place it back on gently everytime he twiddles. However, he just goes right back to doing it (kind of like a habit). I've tried putting a small toy in that hand, he just reaches over with the other hand. He associates it as part of nursing. He is one persistent little fellow! Any suggestions?

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Default Re: "twiddling"

When my boys twiddled and it was just too much for me, I would just hold their hand - put my thumb in their palm and kinda wrap my fingers over the back of thier hand. And I would always look at them and kinda start talking to them to distract them from realizing that I was holding their hand. Some times I would even put our hands to my chest while still holding their hand so thier finger tips could still touch my breast or nipple, but the thumb wasn't free to do the squeezing/twiddling. Hope that helps. Twiddling can be the worst!

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

Would a nursing necklace help?
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Twiddling can be SO annoying. If I really want my son to sleep I sometimes let him twiddle, but now I just hold his hand even if he cries and protests. Some times are better than others.
    Can you nurse in a baby carrier. I often do this if I am out and don't feel comfortable nursing in public. People just think that he is sleeping.
    mother of beautiful ds born sept 09

it really started bothering me at that age too. And my DD was not happy when I tried to stop her. In fact, almost a year later she STILL tries to do it. I started telling her it was hurting mommy and she needed to stop. It did. Then I told her if she wanted to touch the other side she needed to just hold, not pinch and I was OK with holding her flat hand there. She doesn't freak out about it anymore, but she still tries to wander so I just hold her hand now.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

thanks ladies, I guess I have to be more firm and persistent and hope he eventually finds a new way to occupy himself while at the breast!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK