Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I take this??

Default Can I take this??

I have been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and mild depression. I've been on meds for this in the past but stopped when my husband and I were trying to conceieve. I am looking to begin taking the medication again now that my daughter is almost 10 weeks old and is healthy. My question is this, does anyone know if I can safely take Celexa while breastfeeding? On the drug insert they give you at the pharmacy, it says to consult your doctor or pharmacist-Dr. says it's okay but Pharmacist says it's not okay. Does anyone out there know anything about this?

Thanks,
    Amber

Default Re: Can I take this??

http://www.perinatology.com/exposure...Citalopram.htm

I don't think I woud take it. Maybe somebody can look it up in hales book..
    it would seam there would be much safer drugs too take.. good luck!

Amber,
    Hale's book lists Celexa (Citalopram) as an L3. The AAP does not review this drug. Hale does name two other alternatives that are listed as L2, Sertraline and Paxil. There's quite a bit of technical info that does along with Hale's listings. Maybe you could call a local Leader and she could read more details about each drug from Hale's book. (It would take a long time to type!) With that information, then you could discuss your concerns and your options with your doctor.

Mary

Thank you for your replies ladies! What is the classification of the "L3" and "L2"? I'm not familiar with Hale's Book or that terminology.

Thanks again!!

I'm sorry about that! I should have been more clear!
    Thomas Hale's book is Medications and Mothers Milk. He also has a website http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/
    He's not available to answer specific questions on his website but you can browse the previous posts to see if someone else has asked about certain drugs.
    He classifies drugs according to Lactation Risk as L1 = safest, L2 = safer, L3 = moderately safe, L4 = possibly hazardous, and L5 = contraindicated. He also gives a lot of info about how long the drug stays in your system, how it passes into the milk, drug interactions, and much more. The info can be a great tool to discuss your options with your HCP. LLL Leaders are not medical professionals and cannot tell you what is safe to take for you or your baby. We can only give you information!
    Does that help?
    Mary

I too took Celexa before I got pregnant. When my son was about 6 months old I knew that I needed to be back on medication. My OB didn't recommend restarting the Celexa, but instead started Zoloft. For me it has worked. I take it at night because of the peak time of the drug and my baby nurses mor in the day than night.
    Hope this helps you to figue out what's best

Thanks to all of you who have replied. I will contact my doctor to discuss this.

Amber

I take Paxil for my anxiety and depression- and did all the way through my pregnancy and now BFing. I even increased my dose the closer and the more anxious i got before I had my baby- and now bake down to 20mg. There is no research that this is harmful for me or my baby, but having extreme anxiety can be.

Thanks to all who have replied. It makes me feel even more "normal" knowing that others out there have the same issues!! Guess that's why these forums are here, huh?

I have tried Paxil before and it doesn't work well with my body but am now working with my Dr. to find something that does (other than the Celexa).

Thanks again!

Amber