Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: is it possible?

Default is it possible?

My LO will be 7 weeks old tomorrow and I have been EPing for her, but my supply is very low, I'm getting about 2 oz a day . She has never latched great, had to start on bottle due to jaundice and now wont latch without the shield. I have never been great at a pumping schedule and haven't pumped at night much at all. I have an active 2 year old at home also so it's been very difficult to balance everything. My DH doesn't help with getting up for feedings at night, or really anytime, as he would much rather help with the 2 year old which contributes to me not being able to stay awake long enough to pump at night. Will I ever be able to get my supply back up and get her back to the breast to exclusively BF? I am taking More Milk Plus but haven't really noticed a difference. I am trying to put her to the breast more, but she gets mad when it's time to eat and if I take the bottle away to soon she gets worked up again. Giving up has crossed my mind, but I know I will really regret it if I don't keep trying. I was unable to BF DD1 and have had regret for 2 years, making me so determined this time. Also I go back to work June 6, working 4 days a week.

Default Re: is it possible?

I'm EPing for a cleft baby. I have four kids on top of it. EPing is a lot of work.

I can tell you this:
    if you want it to work, you HAVE to buckle down and make it happen.
    You HAVE to pump at night while getting started. This takes advantage of your natural increase in prolactin. It really increases your supply.
    The first 12 weeks of EPing are the most important. This is when you establish your supply.
    You MUST pump every 2 hours at first, and then, after some weeks, you can start backing off.

It's not a lost cause by any means. But you have to do your part. Supply is based on demand. If you aren't removing milk thoroughly and regularly, or baby isn't removing milk, then you make less.

You should have a hospital grade pump while you work to rebuild your supply. And that has to be your focus for now. Nurse, pump and repeat. It won't always be like that.

I have a pillow I put baby on when I have to pump and feed, but I think you should INSIST on your DH helping you. I tried to do what you are doing -- take care of the baby by myself -- because I wanted to spare DH, and it didn't work. I got really tired and depressed. He had to take care of the children while I pumped for the first few weeks.

And I would do ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to nurse at the breast instead of EP. EPing stinks. It's hard. It's far more work and far more time consuming than BFing is after it is well established. I spend 46 hours a WEEK in pumping, bottle feeding, and then washing up.

Have you seen an IBCLC for hands-on help?

There are also some resources here in the Resources section that you might find helpful.

You might want to just stay with a nipple shield for now, to get baby to latch on, and then gradually wean baby from that. My first baby would not latch without one -- someone gave him a bottle when I was in emergency surgery after his birth and sort of ruined it for us -- but eventually I was able to wean him off of it. You could also try starting your milk flowing before putting baby to the breast so baby is getting rewarded for trying right away, and try different positions.

This is totally fixable. There are many moms here who had hard times getting going and are now BFing 100% at the breast.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I know how crucial night pumping is and I tell myself that every day but it seems that by the time I get up and feed her the bottle and get her settled and back to sleep, I have drifted off myself and didn't even realize I was doing it. DH has actually told me that we dont have time for pumping and I need to give it up . I am going to make myself start pumping more regularly and see where I can get. What order is best as far as bottle, then breast, then pumping? I saw the LC at the hospital a few times but not much help. I had a Medela Symphony for the first month, now am using my Freestyle but results seem to be about the same.

Hello, I am new to this forum and I have been having a hard time wity bf myself but hope my experience can help you. Both my babies started being supplemented with formula at the hospital. The first was started on bottles, latched very poorly and my milk was not coming in, the second one was born preterm with a cesarean and would not latch/ sleep at the breast the first days. What helped me a lot with both of them was using a supplemental nursing system (SNS) instead of bottles. It helps keping baby interested in the breast with milk flow and stimulating breast as baby nurses. It may seem complicated to use at first, and requires a little patience at the beginning, but in the end it worked fine for me. Thanks to this and a fair amount of pumping, also sometimes at night, during few weeks, I am now EBFing my second. You may ask an LC about the SNS.

It is totally possible!

I started EPing at 8 weeks, when my son stopped latching due to too many bottles while we moved (and the move itself). I have tried and tried to get him back on though.

I know it sucks right now because nothing much is coming out. However, if you keep removing milk religiously, it WILL increase. I was only pumping around 4 oz in January. Last night I pumped 25 oz So you CAN do it! It IS possible! But it IS frustrating.

I would recommend getting the Symphony back. It is expensive, but it makes a difference. I'd keep the freestyle if you go out though. And maybe a small hand pump for short trips out. That is the thing. You never know how long an errand might run, don't get caught without a pump.

Make bottlefeeding as streamlined as possible. Make them all up the night before, wash them all at once, or use the dishwasher. Easy peasy.

Try and get your baby back to the breast. It is possible. I could not spend as much time on that because I am single and a full time student.

There's all sorts of lotions and potions to try and increase your milk supply, check them out, but MOST IMPORTANTLY is to remove milk ALL THE TIME. Even if it's just a few minutes pumping. Even if it's a little hand expression. Of course, get as many solid 15 minute sessions if you can, but DONT skip it if you don't think you'll have time.

Alot of it is psychological too. Try to celebrate that you have 2 oz- that is almost a whole feeding! Tell yourself "I am a breastfeeding mother". It's really important to keep your emotions in check

You can do this!!! We are here for encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katia11 View Post
    a bunch of really awesome advice
    Our little grasshopper, all growed up!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Awwww thanks jeno! Though I was all like "awww" and at the same time!

To make this not completely off topic, let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*luv2bmomma View Post
    I know how crucial night pumping is and I tell myself that every day but it seems that by the time I get up and feed her the bottle and get her settled and back to sleep, I have drifted off myself and didn't even realize I was doing it. DH has actually told me that we dont have time for pumping and I need to give it up . I am going to make myself start pumping more regularly and see where I can get. What order is best as far as bottle, then breast, then pumping? I saw the LC at the hospital a few times but not much help. I had a Medela Symphony for the first month, now am using my Freestyle but results seem to be about the same.
    That is why your DH needs to be the one doing the bottle at night. Mine does the night feeding while I pump. And that's the way it is. He didn't get a choice. I'm sorry yours is not being supporting. Check out the criticism forum for lots of ideas on what to say to an unsupportive DH.

I would suggest trying a bit of bottle, to make sure baby isn't screaming hungry, then switch to breast. IF she seems still hungry, switch sides. Then, and only then, redo the bottle. The idea to overcome nipple preference is to minimize that nipple.

I do not think the Freestyle is as good as a Symphony. I have found that I get at least an ounce more with the hospital grade, and over the course of a day, that adds up to a whole feeding! It didn't happen at first, but it's very definitely true now. I have the Freestyle for going out, and I'll be using it at work, but the Symphony is my work horse. It is also a whole lot less traumatic to your nipples long term (just ask Jeno ).

You need to see an IBCLC. Not the hospital LC. Most of them are just there for the new moms. Some are really good -- I work with a hospital IBCLC -- but some are just not up to how to get a 2 month old back to the breast. And honestly, that's what you need to do. It will save you time in the long run, and it will save you money.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamminaof2 View Post
    Hello, I am new to this forum and I have been having a hard time wity bf myself but hope my experience can help you. Both my babies started being supplemented with formula at the hospital. The first was started on bottles, latched very poorly and my milk was not coming in, the second one was born preterm with a cesarean and would not latch/ sleep at the breast the first days. What helped me a lot with both of them was using a supplemental nursing system (SNS) instead of bottles. It helps keping baby interested in the breast with milk flow and stimulating breast as baby nurses. It may seem complicated to use at first, and requires a little patience at the beginning, but in the end it worked fine for me. Thanks to this and a fair amount of pumping, also sometimes at night, during few weeks, I am now EBFing my second. You may ask an LC about the SNS.
    I would suggest the Lact-Aid SNS. It's pretty easy to use. I use it with my CP baby to practice "nursing" in hopes that he will want to nurse post-op.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katia11 View Post
    It is totally possible!

I started EPing at 8 weeks, when my son stopped latching due to too many bottles while we moved (and the move itself). I have tried and tried to get him back on though.

I know it sucks right now because nothing much is coming out. However, if you keep removing milk religiously, it WILL increase. I was only pumping around 4 oz in January. Last night I pumped 25 oz So you CAN do it! It IS possible! But it IS frustrating.

I would recommend getting the Symphony back. It is expensive, but it makes a difference. I'd keep the freestyle if you go out though. And maybe a small hand pump for short trips out. That is the thing. You never know how long an errand might run, don't get caught without a pump.

Make bottlefeeding as streamlined as possible. Make them all up the night before, wash them all at once, or use the dishwasher. Easy peasy.

Try and get your baby back to the breast. It is possible. I could not spend as much time on that because I am single and a full time student.

There's all sorts of lotions and potions to try and increase your milk supply, check them out, but MOST IMPORTANTLY is to remove milk ALL THE TIME. Even if it's just a few minutes pumping. Even if it's a little hand expression. Of course, get as many solid 15 minute sessions if you can, but DONT skip it if you don't think you'll have time.

Alot of it is psychological too. Try to celebrate that you have 2 oz- that is almost a whole feeding! Tell yourself "I am a breastfeeding mother". It's really important to keep your emotions in check

You can do this!!! We are here for encouragement.
    Great advice from someone who has BTDT (and just look at you!!)
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!