Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need help-feedings

Default need help-feedings

I have a 4.5 month old ds at home. I is feeding every 2 hrs. our feedings go
    8-*:30 am wake up and nurse
    10-10:30 4 oz of formula
    12-12:30 4 oz of formula
    2:30-3 4 oz of formula
    about 5 nurse and solids
    about 7 nurse
    about 9 nurse
    9:30 bedtime
    and than up at 2 am and 5 am for nursing.

I thought babies this age were to go 3-4 hours between feedings. It doesn't seem to matter if I nurse or feed him formula that he eats every 2 hrs. What can I do to extend his feedings? I am really getting burnt out with every 2 hrs.

Default Re: need help-feedings

I don't know how helpful I can be because I never used formula, but my ds nursed every couple of hours until he was 1, he still would if he could and he is almost 2 now. For him, it was about comfort. I have had friends tell me that there babies who had both would want the formula more once they had it, they thought, because it was sweeter. Hope that helps.

jaclyn

He could be experiencing a growth spurt. How is his growth? Tell us a little about the first couple of months so we have a clearer picture of your situation. Also know that there are others in your situation and we are wishing you the best.

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

Timber,
    I don't feel like that kind of spacing comes about until they are up and moving about! DJ now at 10months will often go 4-5hours w/out eating during the day. But it didn't begin to stretch out until around 6months. And it was gradual. Like 2&1/2 hours than 3 and the more distracted he became with age then longer he would go. HTH!

when he was first here he would eat every 1.5 hrs and now for the last 3 months has been every 2 hrs.

Tonight I nursed him at 5:30, than at 7 and he got applesauce w/ rice cereal also and than wanted to nurse again at 9. I thought once he started with some solids that he would go a little bite longer between feedings. I am at the end of my rope

I know that bf'ing is the best for him but it has made my skin crawl from the very beginning and with how much he is still eating I am feeling worse. That is why I have given him formula a couple of feeding a day now for the last 3 weeks.

He does only eat off of one side per feeding and some times I do not feel empty. I do offer the otherside but he doesn't want it.

any other suggestions would be great?