Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: screams when nursing! please help

Default screams when nursing! please help

All this weekend my 3 mo. old has been screaming after a few sucks...hysterically crying and I can't get her to get back on for a couple hours. I think it might be OALD because the milk is squirting out, it is far worse on one side. This is so frustrating for both of us. What can I do?

Default Re: screams when nursing! please help

My LO just woke up so I can only leave a short post ... so I'll just direct you to these threads which have some great advice and links:

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...hlight=podcast

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=5410

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=6805

I'll be back later with actual advice and help!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thanks Paint-the-Moon...I will try block feeding her. What a frustraing weekend!

I am so sorry you are going through that!!

I hope the block feeding helps ... it helped me and my little one (who also started refusing to eat by screaming, etc. at about 3 months) almost immediately. I saw a difference in the first day, and by day two she was nursing almost peacefully again. Although it took a full week to really calm things down. And she had been traumatized by the OALD, so we had to really work on her mind set and getting her to understand that nursing was a good thing and that being at the breast wasn't something she needed to be fearful about anymore. I did that with lots of skin to skin contact, keeping her on me constantly in the sling (no shirt on), warm baths, offering the breast calmly with no pressure often, sleepy/sleeping nursing, etc.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Wow! The 3 month thing is interesting. She has had to gulp it in th past but I thought it would work itself out as she grew. Regarding the weight gain issue, so are babies with OALD moms at risk of being over weight? My daughter is 16 lbs. now.

Not necessarily, although I don't know the scientific answer to that...I have an oald and my dd is 16.5 lbs and 10.5 months old. She is rather small for her age, but just perfect for her!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Regarding the OALD, Dr. Jack Newman has some interesting insights on his website. It has been a long time since I was there, but you can google it. He says that he commonly sees people for this condition when the babies are three months old, around the time of a nursing strike. He says that although the Moms say they had a good latch but the baby adjusts it do deal with the oversupply. He feels the reverse is true, that babies who have a great latch to begin with can deal much better with the quick flow if there is a supply issue and don't tend to run into those problems. I thought that was interesting. We too had the same thing happen us, and I also felt it was because maybe I was offering the breast too often and the baby just didn't want to eat. We cosleep and he nursed at night too, so it stood to reason that he would not be hungry every three hours or so during the day. He was most receptive to nursing while sleepy/sleeping as p-t-m said, and I felt it might have been a developmental thing to, as he was so much more aware during the day and had much better things to do than nurse!

As regards the weight issue, my lo has always been on the larger side, but so is his Dad. Genetics play a large part. I don't think it's possible to overfeed a breastfed baby. And the food you are providing is so nutritious, it's not like your lo is gaining weight because you are stuffing her with cookies. KWIM? I would recommend you stick with the block feeding and hope it all works out for you. These little ones know how to keep us on our toes,that's for sure!
    Last edited by binxyboo; October 30th, 2006 at 01:55 PM. Reason: typos

FWIW block feeding is helping so much!! We enjoy nursing again and its so precious to see Wyatt actually turn towards me and nuzzle in!! YAH! Good luck with getting things under control and lets us know how it goes!!

What is OALD? I have never heard of this.

It stands for overactive let down. It is the milk ejection reflex, or MER, when your milk lets down. If it is overactive or forceful, it can come out very strong and spray ... causing baby to choke, cough, gag, etc. trying to keep up with both the hard spray and the following fast flow of milk. It can cause many complications in a nursing relationship from the just mentioned problems with baby not being able to handle the milk, to a baby screaming and refusing to continue to nurse, to all out nursing strikes if it gets so bad they become fearful of breastfeeding. It usually goes hand in hand with an oversupply of milk. Although many moms find they still have OALD even after their supply has evened out (I know I still spray, even on my lowest supply days). You can read more here:

Oversupply