Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I think we're almost night weaned...

Talking I think we're almost night weaned...

I'm optimistic in thinking that we're almost night weaned. I really hope I'm not counting my chickens though. DD is 23 months and is still very big on nursing, which i don't mind but i really need my nights back. We still co-sleep and we bring a little water bottle to bed for her. The last week I've been imposing limits, I let her know that we're gonna wait till it's light out/morning.

1st night: 15 mins of crying then 15 mins of fidgiting
    2nd night: 5 mins of crying about 20 mins of fidgiting
    3rd night: no crying, but got up and fidgited about a half hour
    4th night: 10mins of crying, no fidgiting
    5th night: no crying and only 5 mins of fidgiting.

I have yet to give in at night and have stuck to the plan, which i think is working for my strong willed child. I'm hoping she continues to only wake up once and can just go to sleep with cuddles or fidgiting( but not for to long) and then eventually stops waking up at night in general... This would be very nice. She still nurses during the day when we're home, she never asks for it when we're out so I don't have to worry about it. She has started to increase her solids and will go into the fridge and pull out the milk and ask for it.

Does any other momma's no any other tricks for night weaning? did it start out rough, then better, then rough?
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

Default Re: I think we're almost night weaned...

We started with the Dr Jay Gordon method that most of the ladies on here suggest. My LO did great with this routine with barely any fussing at all. Then he got sick and I went back to nursing him through the night. After he was better I tried to go back to this method he was LIVID! He was kicking me and punching me and screaming to wake me up to nurse (Obviously a very demanding boy!) And I decided enough is enough. So he started sleeping with DH and I sleep in the spareroom. Since then he is doing well. He even slept through the night last night. And he doesn't fuss at all for his dad. I make sure he has a sippy cup of water with him too.
    So in my situation I had to remove myself. But I just couldn't handle another night of it. I hope your LO keeps up the good work and sounds like you are doing a good job.
    Mom to T September 10 2009 - BF for 20 months

Due with baby #2 December 31st 2012!

I started night weaning my LO about 3 weeks ago, with NO support from my SO! the first week was painful, as he was waking up every 2 hours and I had to go to him and NOT nurse him, but after a few nights he cried less and less. (I hated for him to cry, but I had tried the "no crying solution" and it did not work and I was at my wits end due to lack of sleep) This past whole week he has slept through the night without waking up at all. He goes to sleep 8:30-900pm and wakes up by 5-6am, at that point I bring him into my bed and nurse him and he sleeps for another hour (On my days off), but since I work, he is used to getting up by 0600 to be dropped off at daycare by 0630 the days I work, so even on my days off, we still get up by no later than 0700. I don't nurse him during the day (I'm weaning) only night and morning. If your SO is supportive of the night weaning, I would get his assistance and make the transition easier for you and your baby
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

Sounds to me like you are almost there for sure! My first was pretty much like that and by three nights she was completely SSTN...my now 19MO has been a different story She probably took over a month to get to the point where she would sleep until at least 4am. Now she will sleep until around 5 or 6, I'll nurse her and put her back down until 7 or 8.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

last night she was up twice but fell asleep again after 20 mins. Unfortunately My SO is an incredibly heavy sleeper and doesn't wake up at all muts be nice! The one tim I pushed him awake he was no help at all and my DD flipped out worse when he tried to take her. I just keep telling her when it's light out and the pep talk before bed seems to be helping I've even had to say Mommy is gonna sleep in another room if you can't sleep nice and seriously she stops whinning/crying immediately and just fidgits for a few mins and then crashes again. She has definitely turned into a cuddler the last week and will come up to me out of no where wanting hugs
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz