Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bad fridge

Default bad fridge

So when DS was about 6 mo i got myself this fancy electric pump and then he decided he wouldnt take my milk in a bottle, I kept on pumping and I kept on trying and gave it to him with some nestum or mixed in foods instead, all that while living at my in laws with a fridge that wasnt troublesome. About a month ago we moved to a new place and I havent pumped since for two reasons one: Im not sure if I can keep the milk around in my fridge because its the kind that you have to defrost teice a week and Im afraid my milk will go bad in there and two: the outlets suck and i need to replace at least one to pump bu tI am not motivated to go though that if Im not gonna be able to store the milk in my friedge anyways... so I appreciate your help on the matter

Default Re: bad fridge

If you don't have to pump, don't. I didn't pump hardly at all with my third baby. He wouldn't take milk in a bottle anyway, I only work PT, and we managed to get along without it. There's no reason for a mom to HAVE to pump if she's with baby FT and baby is nursing well unless she wants to.

I don't know if I would keep milk in a freezer like that. Not because it won't stay frozen, but because what would I do with it while defrosting the freezer?

BM will stay fresh, barring a lipase problem with mom's milk, in the fridge for up to 8 days. So if you really needed to save a bit for something later in the week, you could.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

well every now and then I do wish I could go out, the thing is idk if the milk will stay frozen bc the fridge thingy manual describes it as a "semi automatic defrosting" I mean its like the freezer stops working and melts the excess frost off? but nothing really gets defrosted like the meat or the rest of the stuff thats in there

Hi

I don't think i would keep my milk in there. Maybe you could freeze some/store it at your in laws just to have a bit of a stash in case you want it for something. my friend's mom watches her kids so her mom stores some of the milk at her place, just to keep some around.

i wouldn't bother pumping unless you need to. if you plan to go out you could just grab from your in laws (not sure how far they are)or just pump that am and keep it in the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*milkylucy View Post
    well every now and then I do wish I could go out, the thing is idk if the milk will stay frozen bc the fridge thingy manual describes it as a "semi automatic defrosting" I mean its like the freezer stops working and melts the excess frost off? but nothing really gets defrosted like the meat or the rest of the stuff thats in there
    I've heard of mamas storing milk in those types. It is only OK for a month max in that type of freezer, and don't store near the walls of the freezer. Store in the middle, where it has a better chance of staying frozen longer.

From what I understand, most frostless freezers have this sort of system in them anyway, which is why you shouldn't store BM or food long-term in a freezer compartment on a fridge. They go through little defrost cycles often and can affect the food.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    just pump that am and keep it in the fridge.
    This is what I was thinking and aiming at. I would pump a bit every day for a few days -- make sure you don't have a lipase problem first -- and save it up for when you want to go out for a few hours without baby. Or just pump that morning if your supply can support that.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!