Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Pumping Issues

  1. #1

    Default Pumping Issues

    Hi, I have a 4 week old and I would like to pump once a day but I've tried a few times and only get drips....like less than 1/8 oz. My LC said to pump after the first AM feed but that doesn't seam to be working. I tried pumping while feeding and that worked well but the LO is taking more than one side now and I don't want to mess up his feedings. (I try to stay to one side to increase hind milk due to possible reflux)

    What is the best way to do this? Does it just take time to work properly?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,056

    Default Re: Pumping Issues

    Hi, and

    I have a few questions for you:
    - What kind of pump are you currently using? Single or double? Manual or electric?
    - For how long do you pump?
    - What are your long-term pumping plans? For instance, are you going to be going back to work full time? If so, when? If not, what kinds of time are you looking at as far as needing EBM for your baby?
    - How often is your baby nursing now - daytime and nighttime?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

  3. #3

    Default Re: Pumping Issues

    I have a double Medela pump in style, I don't go back to work full time until September so for now I am just looking to pump enough to help me once in a while when BF isn't the most convenient plus I sell Thirty-One and need to be able to work parties on occasion. LO eats about every 2-3 hrs still sometimes 1.5 hrs.

    Come Sept. I would like to be able to nurse and pump before work then nurse and pump after work (I get off work at 2:30) I am a teacher so pumping at work will be really hard....I know it's possible I to do the above but I am not sure if that will work out for me

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    532

    Default Re: Pumping Issues

    Have you tried massaging/compressing your breasts while you are pumping? That really helps me to get the milk spraying out.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,056

    Default Re: Pumping Issues

    Excellent, thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hokiemama View Post
    My LC said to pump after the first AM feed but that doesn't seam to be working. I tried pumping while feeding and that worked well but the LO is taking more than one side now and I don't want to mess up his feedings. (I try to stay to one side to increase hind milk due to possible reflux)
    Pumping in the AM works best for most mamas because of higher levels of prolactin. I usually nurse on only one side as well d/t foremilk imbalance. I would go ahead and pump both sides, even the side you just fed on; do this as soon after nursing as possible.


    It does take time for some mamas to "get used to" pumping. Make sure your parts are all assembled correctly. Is this a new pump, or did you get it from a friend? Sometimes pumps wear out.

    Are you using the correct size shield? Here are a couple of links:
    http://www.medela.com/IW/en/breastfe...astshield.html
    http://lactinv.com/breastfeeding_qna..._breastshields

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hokiemama View Post
    I have a double Medela pump in style, I don't go back to work full time until September so for now I am just looking to pump enough to help me once in a while when BF isn't the most convenient plus I sell Thirty-One and need to be able to work parties on occasion. LO eats about every 2-3 hrs still sometimes 1.5 hrs.

    Come Sept. I would like to be able to nurse and pump before work then nurse and pump after work (I get off work at 2:30) I am a teacher so pumping at work will be really hard....I know it's possible I to do the above but I am not sure if that will work out for me
    Medela PIS is a good pump. It is a high-quality, double-electric pump that will be perfect for when you go back to work. It is my "regular-duty" pump; I also have a Freestyle that I use on outings occasionally, but I don't respond to it as well. Others EP w/ it.

    How awesome is it that you were able to have the whole summer off w/ your baby! My sister is a teacher, and her first baby was two weeks past her due date; she had to go back to work when she was only 6 weeks old

    Come back and post when it's getting closer to work time for you. We may be able to help you come up w/ some pumping routines that will fit your schedule. So many teachers post that they have trouble pumping at work, and that is such a crime!

    Sorry my post is so all over the place. Some other things I've thought of for your current pumping:
    - breast massage
    - make sure you are comfortable (not hunched over a table or something)
    - have a blanket or burp cloth of your baby's that you can smell, and/or pump w/ your baby asleep next to you or in a bouncy chair where you can see him.

    Here is kellymom's link on not pumping enough:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

  6. #6

    Default Re: Pumping Issues

    Thanks for the advise....

    It's a brand new pump and it works fine because if I feed on one side and pump the other at the same time I can get a least 1 0z. I pump with baby next to me. I might need to pump closer to finishing his feeding it's just hard b/c I am so hungry at that point in the morning and waiting 1 hr (between feeding a pumping) to eat is hard! Usually my let down starts but it is never more then a slow drip after that.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    532

    Default Re: Pumping Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hokiemama View Post
    I might need to pump closer to finishing his feeding it's just hard b/c I am so hungry at that point in the morning and waiting 1 hr (between feeding a pumping) to eat is hard!
    Have you looked into getting or making a hands-free bra? You could then eat while you pump! I have the Hands Free Pumping Bra from Simple Wishes and I LOVE it, but you can also make one with an old sports bra.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: Pumping Issues

    Does anyone know where you can buy different sized breast shields?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    532

    Default Re: Pumping Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mandy314 View Post
    Does anyone know where you can buy different sized breast shields?
    The Babies R Us near me carries the 24 mm and the 36 mm.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,805

    Default Re: Pumping Issues

    can you just keep something close to you to eat so you don't have to get starving? I second the hands free bra, it'll be majorly helpful if you're pumping while baby is around. There's a way to do it with hair elastics and you can probably find a youtube video for it - or maybe another mama here can explain.

    For a lot of women it just takes a while to get used to the pump. I think you'll find over time that if you keep at it, it will increase as time goes on. Another thing that i found helpful was to push the yellow button that changes the speed after your milk stops coming out and that will stimulate another let down a lot of times.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •