Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night issues with feeding/crying.

Unhappy Night issues with feeding/crying.

Hey ladies. I'm feeling really lost/frustrated/guilty/sad... My daughter is now about 5 weeks old. She's generally a happy/content little one, but lately, our nights have been torture. It's getting to the point where I dread the evenings, because I'm just hoping/praying that she does ok. Here's what's been going on...

She's a big baby, was 9lbs 10oz at delivery and she's nursing every hour during the day between her naps. When she nurses, I notice she's gulping and sometimes coughs/chokes because it seems like she's eating so fast. When she pulls off, sometimes the milk is streaming out pretty fast. And then she doesn't eat for very long...about 8 min on each side. I also burp her often to get some of the air out to try and make sure she doesn't get a tummy ache. I've noticed lately she's been spitting up more too. Sometimes it's a gush of warm milk, sometimes it's the chunky white smelly stuff.

This week she's started a new night routine. After she wakes up from her nap around 6, she wants to eat every 45 min or so and she gets VERY fussy/demanding about it. Then when I do feed her, sometimes she's still upset - kicking her legs, punching my breasts, fussing/crying, pulling on my nipple, etc. I try to burp her, thinking maybe she has gas (because she's a chugger), but she arches her back and cries and panics. So I let her nurse again, and the same thing...Sometimes she's so upset and crying even with my nipple still in her mouth. She sticks with this until anywhere between 11-1 when she finally falls asleep. Sometimes she gets to the point where nothing will console her... she won't nurse, burp, want to be held or lay down or even sit propped up. I'm just at a loss... I want to console her, but I just don't know what's going on.

I don't know if my supply is too low at night, and she's getting frustrated at the lack of milk? I don't know if she has gas pains? Or if she's just tired past the point of no return?

I know it's hard to diagnose other people, but I guess I just need advice! I hate to see her so upset.

Thanks and I'm sorry for the long post...

Default Re: Night issues with feeding/crying.

This time of night is usually the hardest with babies. I don't know anything about what could be causing it though.

Have you tried wearing her in a carrier/sling for a walk? Maybe try a car ride?
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

It sounds as though you have overactive let-down (OALD), b/c of what you describe w/ the choking/coughing/spraying. I had this same problem as well, and my daughter exhibited a lot of the behaviors you listed. It is very frustrating.

What could be happening at night is several things:
    1) She is used to the fast let-down during the day, but in the evenings (when your supply is naturally lower d/t hormones) she is having to work harder to get the milk out. This will frustrate some babies and make them fussy.
    2) Cluster feeding @ night d/t growth spurt (which is normal @ this age).
    3) Reflux
    4) Colic

Here is an article on evening fussiness: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

Here is a general overview on fussiness @ the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

I wouldn't worry about the spit-up if your baby is peeing/pooping properly and seems to be thriving.

Good luck! You are doing such a great thing for your baby by nursing!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Another thing that I thought of is that my daughter would get fussy if I tried to talk while nursing her, or if it were loud. Weird, but she really would get over-stimulated in the evenings if we were in a loud room (like over @ my parents' house w/ my niece, nephew, and my son). If it got really bad, I would go into a darkened, quiet room and nurse her in a rocking chair or in the bed. HTH!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

with Jeno's reply...
    my LO at 2-3 months old had the evening fussiness every night for weeks. always at the exact same time too even if everything was different that day, nothing worked but walking her around and/or singing to her. it didn't last but was sure hard for me! hang in there!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I with other PPs that the nighttime fussiness is totally normal. My baby did the same thing at that age. It's rough but I promise it will get better! I read that 6 weeks is the peak of the nighttime fussies so you are almost halfway there!

Jeno gave you some good links for oversupply. The good thing is eventually you and your LO figure everything out and it really does get much easier! Hang in there...you can do this!
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!

wow! i'm not alone either! my 4 week old this entire week has been fussy around the same time in the evening. we didn't know what it could be either. we thought it was gas. i've been burping him after every feed, he cries at the breast, arches his back, and also gags at the breast too.

however, cradling him, rocking him, etc...does seem to calm him down s o m e t i me s .....

from the sound of it...this is all normal? i'm glad to hear that.

I'll offer up something that has happened to me. My LO had stuffy nose! She was so so so fussy and crying while nursing. I couldnt get her to latch on well and ended up having to pump and bottle fed her. She had a doctors appointment the next day and I brought it up with her pediatrician. I also mentioned sometimes she sounds like she has raspy breathing in her throat and chest. She checked her out, gave her a perfect bill of health. Then she started fussing towards the end of the appointment, and the doc heard her nose. Then she showed me this trick where she rolled up a kleenex into a point and stuffed it down her nose and twisted it (my LO was screaming like she was dying) and pulled up a big wad of snotties!
    She then smiled huuuge at the doctor, and my doc laughed and thought it was the funniest thing ever she went from screaming to smiling instantly .
    She nursed perfect after that. So now before I nurse I suction her nose.
    So just another thing that could be happening, since it is allergy season!
    FTM to Abigail Dell 03/18/2011
    SAHM
    we are FINALLY a fully breastmilk baby (after 14 weeks of struggling!)
    Om nom nom

My 3 week old boy gets fussy at night too. From 6 to midnight it seems. He will eat more and I could not seem to tell if he was done eating or not. I offered each breast multiple times until he refused. We also tried a combination of white noise from our air purifier and the sleep sheep (ocean setting). I moved him closer to the air purifier and that seemed to do the trick. Not sure what will happen tonight but at least I got to eat a sit down dinner with my husband : )