Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blood in breast milk

Default Blood in breast milk

My baby is 3 days old and my breasts are bleeding...does this mean I won't be able to breast feed my baby?

Default Re: Blood in breast milk

Can you tell us a little bit more about what's going on?

Are your nipples cracked and bleeding? How do you know there is blood in your milk? Are you pumping?

Is your baby latching? If your baby latches, when your baby comes off the nipple is it round like an eraser or pointy like a new lipstick?

Are you having pain?

To answer your question, NO it does NOT mean you will not be able to breastfeed your baby. But it does probably mean you are having some issues that will require troubleshooting. We will help you and it will probably help to get some local hands-on help. Have you seen a lactation consultant - preferably an IBCLC?

Let us know what's going on, mama!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Excellent response from the PP! The answers to her questions will tell us a lot about how best to help you.

I just want to add that bloody breast milk will not hurt your baby. It takes very little blood to tint your milk a very shocking color. If you are pumping- which I do not suggest doing at this point unless the baby is not nursing or is not nursing well- you can allow the milk to settle in the fridge. After a few hours the blood should sink to the bottom of the bottle, allowing you to pour off the clean fraction on top.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

A little blood in the breastmilk is not bad for your baby. BUT, tell us what's going on, hopefully we can help you with your issues, because that doesnt' sound fun!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I'm expressing milk before I nurse because my breasts are so full and he has a hard time latching on. There was blood in my expressed milk. Nursing is really painful for me. Both my mom and mom-in-law are encouraging me not to give up. I have healed a lot (I think it's because I leak a lot and I heard breast milk has healing qualities). I'm so tired and he cries a lot. I've been giving him my expressed milk 1 ounce per feeding as recommended by the nurse so that he won't get too full. I did give him formula for a day but he doesn't seem to like it as much as breast milk. Thank you for any tips and suggestions.

awe 3 days is so young. You can do this.

count wet diapars thats the way to know is baby is getting the milk they need.

This saved me when my dd was born, after bags of iv fluids:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...cotterman.html

hi! just keep nursing, forget the formula. do you need to give him the expressed milk? i would just nurse and freeze it if you are getting an oz or more.

my lo cried a lot unless he was nursing or being held. i found that i got the most sleep if i slept in my bed with him.

I learned how to nurse laying down with my first and it was when I started to get some sleep. If you get a chance to try it that would be great!

I also used tons of the lanolin cream on my nipples. I kept it in my bathrobe pocket so it stayed warm and I just put it on all the time. And I either just wore an old tank top, walked around topless or just in a bathrobe. air/milk helps them heal too, your right about the healing properties!

You are doing great.

The lack of sleep was always the worst during the first week for me. It will get better, just make sure you sleep whenever you can. Don't bother with the housework!
    Last edited by @llli*mtmama; May 21st, 2011 at 12:07 PM.

If the baby is having trouble latching on, I suggest a trip to the lactation consultant, preferably the IBCLC, for some hands-on help. When you're having trouble with a newborn, there's really no better thing you can do yourself.

If the bleeding is not associated with pain, 2 possible causes for it are:
    - broken blood vessels (small fragile vessels can break easily, especially during pumping)
    - rusty pipe syndrome (blood is due to vascular engorgement associated with breast growth)
    Both these options are not a cause for concern.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I know you are so tired. I know.

See about going to see an IBCLC. It will help a little not to worry about pumping if you can get a pain free latch. It will really be worth it to get your LO latched on now rather than pumping and trying to bottle feed.

Sleep when you can. Order in food. Say yes when anybody offers to help you. And try to get a shower and clean clothing everyday. (I know maybe that sounds weird, but so many mamas don't do that for themselves. I think a clean pair of undies and washed hair can make a girl feel better about herself. You deserve 5 minutes to feel refreshed.)

Keep us posted!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!