Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Day 5 sleepy baby

Default Day 5 sleepy baby

Hello everyone,
    So far breastfeeding baby #2 has been going just ok. The problem is that my LO is 5 days old and I have to wake her up and stimulate her for almost every feeding! Even last night she only woke up one time to eat. She did have a good feeding but still, my son seemed to be much more awake and certainly woke up much more during the night. Another thing is that she is pooping and peeing enough but her poop is still transitional, not yellow. At her pediatrician appointment yesterday, she had lost 10% of her body weight (which I know is normal) and we have to go back in monday for a weigh-in. I really want her to have gained some weight so I'm really concerned about whether she is getting enough.

Any advice or words of wisdom would be much appreciated. It's great to be back to these forums after being away for a year or so! Thanks in advance.

Amy

Default Re: Day 5 sleepy baby

awe 5 days old...
    are you counting diapars?
    try breast compressions that can keep the baby at the breast longer.
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

let us know how your weight check goes.

Welcome back! And congrats on the new baby. Just keep waking her every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night. She'll eventually wake up more. You also might want to try some breast compressions to speed the milk to her.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I actually have been doing breast compressions and that seems to help. I also have been stripping her down at every feeding and getting her skin to skin. That helps a bit too. So far she has had enough wet and poop diapers every day but I'm just worried that she won't gain weight by monday.

Does anyone know if it's normal to still have transitional poop?

Heck, by day 5 my milk had only been in for about 12 hours

Some babies are just sleepy. That said, until she's a couple of weeks old and gaining weight at a good clip, I'd wake her up during the night to feed more than once - if it were me, that is . I say that not just for the baby's sake, but for the sake of establishing a good supply, too!

Transitional stools on day five are ok, but if you don't see them start changing to yellow in another couple of days (especially if your milk came in early), it might be a indication that she's not eating enough (another reason to wake her at night ).

Here's an article on sleepy babies that might help!
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

how are your nipples fealing? not cracked or bleading?

My nipples are cracked. I had issues in the beginning with my DS also. I saw the LC in the hospital twice and he had to work on a deeper latch but I still damaged my nipples a bit. Desptite that, we are still latching well, although with a bit of pain

hang in there...
    it does sound like your doing the right things.

and lots of moms have cracks at 5 days.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

from that link:
    Contact your health care provider if you notice:
    Fever, inflammation/redness, swelling, oozing, pus, or other signs of infection. It is possible to have multiple infections (both fungal and bacterial).

If the nipple is obviously infected, then talk to your health care provider about the possibility of using an oral (systemic) antibiotic. One study indicated that topical antibiotics and good breastfeeding techniques might not be sufficient if infection is present. (See Livingstone V, Stringer

You ladies are just as amazing as I remember. Thank you so much for all the support! I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, try to wake her more at night and hope for the best on Monday! I'll let you know about her weight check.