Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thinking of weaning

Default Thinking of weaning

My baby is now 9 months old and I had originally thought of weaning at six months but time flew and next thing I knew he was six months old. Then I decided to extend it since it was working out for both of us. But now that he is older everyone keeps asking, are you still breastfeeding??? Like it's a bad thing, it's soo annoying. Well I have been thinking that maybe it is time to wean. I asked his pediatrician if it was ok to stop and his reply was that I have already gone further than most moms and that it was really up to me but that it wouldn't make much of a difference now since he is eating solids. Not much encouragement there. And my mother says that it is best to wean him now because after one year it will be very difficult for him. I can't stand the idea of making my baby cry or hurt because mommy doesn't want to feed him. So I was thinking maybe I should stop now before that happens, what do you think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Default Re: Thinking of weaning

The AAP actually recommends nursing until age 1 and as long after that point that mom and baby want to continue. I think your doc. is probably not very current regarding these newer standards. The World Health Oranization actually recommends breastfeeding at least until age 2, and Canada agrees with them.

You may want to consider that if you wean now, your baby will need formula until age 1, since AAP guidelines say that you shouldn't give cow's milk until after the age of 1, and then, whole cow's milk when you do introduce it.

There is nothing wrong with continuing to nurse. Breastmilk is a much better choice than formula and has antibodies and lots of great nutrients. It sounds like your doc was just taking the middle of the line approach and trying not to offend anybody by taking a side. In reality, breastmilk is always the better choice even after you've started solids and your baby will be much healthier and better off if you continue for a while longer.

As far as it being really difficult to wean a child after age 1, I'm curious why your mom thinks that? Did she breastfeed? For most children, they still really need mommy and alot of comfort at age 1, and if they don't get it from nursing, they sometimes get really attached to the bottle. Sometimes a toddler who can't live without a bottle ends up very very attached to a "thing". Mommy is not just a thing, but a living breathing person who loves baby and comforts baby and baby knows that. Breastfed kids are generally more secure, as they get all the attention they need from mommy whenever they need it. So, weaning after age 1 is not usually as big a deal as you'd think.

There are lots of options for weaning, LLL here has lots of info here in their website, and there are lots of mommies on this forum who can help you through it when you choose to.

Personally, we let our oldest ds self-wean...he gradually decreased nursing sessions on his own the older he got and the more mature he got he was just interested in more big-boy things. By 1.5 yrs, he predominantly nursed in the morning, before his nap, and at bedtime...then, within a few days of age 2, he stopped nursing altogether.

I would like to encourage you to continue to breastfeed. It's a hard thing to do when our own family has outdated information, but it really is best for baby.

Good Luck!

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I was really puzzled by the Dr.'s response. I thought he was going to be more reassuring that BF was better but you are right perhaps he is trying to not offend people.

Yes my mother BF me up until a year, she said some babies refuse to wean after a year and cry, the thought of making my baby go through that already kills me. That's why she said maybe now before he gets too attached would be a good time to wean. It really does upset me that everyone, expect for my husband, questions me why I am still breastfeeding. Once again thank you for your encouraging words, I really needed them.

I just weaned my 13-1/2 month old, and honestly, aside from the middle-of-the-night feeding, he never cried or missed it. I think that if you do it slowly (it took me MONTHS to wean), then there doesn't have to be crying. That said, there is no reason you should have to start weaning now. I didn't start dropping feedings until my son was about 10 months old.