Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "i'm a baby!!"

Default "i'm a baby!!"

for the last 2 or so weeks, dd (who is 30 mos) has been telling me that she's a baby (in this weird little baby voice) every time she asks to nurse.

i don't know where this is coming from. is she just starting to reach an age where she is "embarrassed"? i know she's starting to be embarrassed about getting a diaper changed in front of other kids (she's a late potty-trainer), but she sees other kids usin the potty and not wearing diapers, so that makes more sense.

anyone else's toddlers "regressed" in a similar way while nursing?
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

Default Re: "i'm a baby!!"

Do you think someone told her only babies nurse?
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

That is exactly what I was thinking ... someone may be slipping her some self-conscious information.

Maybe ask her some basic questions the next time she does this to see if you can get more info like:

Are you a baby?
    What makes you a baby?

That way if she has any misgivings about only babies nursing or other potty things you guys can discuss them openly. Clearly she is telling you something with the baby talk, but you won't know until you ask more about it.

being a SAHM to DD born 12/09

i know for a fact that nobody has told her that only babies nurse. that would've been my first assumption, otherwise. but she is always with me, and if she's in the company of other people, i'm there, too.. except at times with dh, but i KNOW he's not telling her that stuff..

my good friend had a baby a couple of months ago, and lila has seen her nurse her little baby several times.. but that is the only baby she has seen nurse.. and she has never been told that ____ shouldn't/can't nurse. maybe just seeing the baby nurse has made her think that she needs to be a "baby"?

oh, i need to add, too.. i tell her the same story about when she was born a few times a week, when she asks to hear it.. and i always say in one part of the story that when she first came out of my tummy, all she wanted to do was "sleep, and cry, and get milse (NURSE), and make doo-doo.. and then go back to sleep, and cry, and get milse..." etc etc. so that could also be why she is associating it with being a baby...?
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovepickles View Post
    That is exactly what I was thinking ... someone may be slipping her some self-conscious information.

Maybe ask her some basic questions the next time she does this to see if you can get more info like:

Are you a baby?
    What makes you a baby?

That way if she has any misgivings about only babies nursing or other potty things you guys can discuss them openly. Clearly she is telling you something with the baby talk, but you won't know until you ask more about it.

Excellent post! I personally would also probably ask her if someone had said that to her, and if so who? (so I could go on them, or their parents if it was a small child)
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Are there any big scary changes going on in her life right now making her unsecure?
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*faith511518 View Post
    Are there any big scary changes going on in her life right now making her unsecure?
    This is what I was wondering but just any kind of change at all? 2-3-4 year olds are notorious for not handling changes without a little regression in some area. Did you move or change schools or did a friend move away etc ? Also, even if nothing changed it's not abnormal for toddlers/preschoolers to regress a little before a big developmental growth or life change like how you mentioned potty training (or sleeping in their own room, changing classes at daycare etc). Some kiddos just resist the "growing up" implication of these things a little YKWIM? Totally normal. How long has she been doing it?
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Maybe she's making a connection between being potty trained and not nursing.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*faith511518 View Post
    Just what I was wondering, too. My big girl started pretending to be a baby when I was pregnant with baby #2, and she knew big changes were on the way. And she still pretends to be a baby animal sometimes, particularly in stressful situations. Like when I'm pressuring her to put on her pajamas or something, and she'll say "but Baby Tiger doesn't know how to yet". (she refers to herself in the 3rd person, too, just like Elmo does...)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My first thought was just "Awww, she's starting to role play!" I think if it were me, I would just go along with the game, and then add some things into it after she'd led the way for a while. Just make sure to say somewhere along the line some of the things that babies do (including but not limited to nursing), and then what happens to babies (they grow), and some of the things they do once they are kids (including but not limited to nursing). Are you worried seeing her do this, or just worried that it means you *should* be worried?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012