Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Conflicting feelings about weaning (kinda long)

Default Re: Conflicting feelings about weaning (kinda long)

Babygirl05, that's awesome that you are still nursing during pregnancy!! That's another thing DH and I were thinking about. We would like to start trying for another LO but I don't think I could handle nursing through a pregnancy. When I was pregnant my nipples were soo sensitive it was the worst feeling to have anything even brush up against them. So I think you are doing a great job.
    So I guess I'm just gonna take it each step at a time because I know I don't want to take away his source of comfort before he is ready.
    Thanks again to everyone it's nice to hear I'm not alone.
    Mom to T September 10 2009 - BF for 20 months

Due with baby #2 December 31st 2012!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*daydreamer View Post
    Babygirl05, that's awesome that you are still nursing during pregnancy!! That's another thing DH and I were thinking about. We would like to start trying for another LO but I don't think I could handle nursing through a pregnancy. When I was pregnant my nipples were soo sensitive it was the worst feeling to have anything even brush up against them. So I think you are doing a great job.
    So I guess I'm just gonna take it each step at a time because I know I don't want to take away his source of comfort before he is ready.
    Thanks again to everyone it's nice to hear I'm not alone.
    Aww...thanks
    It's not the same for everyone. Not everyone gets irritated, but it's probably more common than not. Some kids will just wean because you are pg too. But you never know what type of kid you're going to have, right? I figured mine would be done by now since I haven't had milk in a long time.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I haven't read each response closely, but I agree with PP who said it is okay to set limits. I don't think it is too much to expect him to remain in your lap and calm during nursing sessions, or else the session ends. It may take a few days but if you are consistent it can get better. I am only nursing my almost-20-month-old once in the morning now, so I can't totally relate to the toddler nursing habits that come at this age. But, I do know I've read a lot of other mamas on here who have gone through those same feelings of being irritated and frustrated with nursing a toddler. My guess is setting some limits will help those feelings.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I didn't really read all the responses, but are SURE you're not pregnant? That is exactly how it felt when I was pregnant and nursing. In fact, that is why I did end up weaning during pregnancy because I could not take that feeling every single time I touched my child. It is heartbreaking to feel that way when you are doing the one thing that makes you and your child feel closest, but wanting to scream at them and hide your breasts isn't that great either.

I kind of felt like that was my body's way of telling me it was time to wean. I have heard of other moms feeling like this when their children were toddlers and they were not pregnant as well.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I didn't really read all the responses, but are SURE you're not pregnant? That is exactly how it felt when I was pregnant and nursing. In fact, that is why I did end up weaning during pregnancy because I could not take that feeling every single time I touched my child. It is heartbreaking to feel that way when you are doing the one thing that makes you and your child feel closest, but wanting to scream at them and hide your breasts isn't that great either.

I kind of felt like that was my body's way of telling me it was time to wean. I have heard of other moms feeling like this when their children were toddlers and they were not pregnant as well.

Pregnancy was my VERY first thought when this started happening a couple months ago. Because the feeling while nursing is so similar to tye nipple sensitivity i had while i was pregnant. Since then I have taken 2 tests just tobe sure. Both negative. My cycles are very regular as well.
    Maybe I'll test again this month. But it reAlly does feel like it's my body saying. Enough already!!!!! But I know I really don't want to wean yet.

I've had that feeling while nursing while pregnant. And oddly, now while EPing at least once a day for the last week or so. I just want to rip the horns away and run.

I would totally agree on setting limits and expecting manners. If you are just fooling around, you don't need to nurse, KWIM. Let's do something else. That's how I approached it with my toddlers. But if they settle in, I would cope with that creepy-crawly feeling by really looking at and focusing on the toddler and thinking about how important it is for the kid to continue, and usually I could overcome it after a few minutes. Toddler nursing is not easy.

Sometimes changing positions helped, like to lay down, so I could relax instead of thinking about how it's the 5000th time that day the kid has wanted to nurse and now nothing is getting done around the house.

It seems to have a hormonal basis, and it may ebb and flow.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

toddler antics are no fun, especially when you feel that way. My DD is only nursing at night, but there are rules that I have to go over every.single. night. Maybe I'm hoping she'll get sick of my rules and quit
    Every night I tell her she must "Come in close, STOP MOVING AROUND, and open her mouth WIDE" I won't even offer unless she's still. And she needs to unlatch and relatch when I tell her to or no more.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    toddler antics are no fun, especially when you feel that way. My DD is only nursing at night, but there are rules that I have to go over every.single. night. Maybe I'm hoping she'll get sick of my rules and quit
    Every night I tell her she must "Come in close, STOP MOVING AROUND, and open her mouth WIDE" I won't even offer unless she's still. And she needs to unlatch and relatch when I tell her to or no more.
    This is exactly what was going through my mind today. He was nursing like a starved savage beast last night. and that's putting it mildly...he was frantically nursing making grunting noises and smacking. It was almost like he knows that I'm getting frustrated with him and knows nursing might be coming to an end. i unlatched him and told him he is hurting me and has to be gentle. ha was a little lighter after that. I'm thinking what's bothering me is how strong his suck/latch is now that he is such a big person.

And I thought I would update to let you ladies know that I went to the doc today to order bloodwork to see if I'm pregnant. I thought I should make sure and not mess around with any more pee sticks. I should get the results on Tuesday hopefully, so I'll keep you all posted.

I am on the same boat as you!!!! My LO is now 20 months, and for the past few months I've been feeling like this is ENOUGH! I was able to transition him into his own bed back in January and we have successfully night wean the past month (after 20 months of NO sleep, I was getting ready to get committed into a psych ward). We now nurse only at night and in the mornings and my goal is to be completely weaned by his 2nd birthday (September), especially as I am now 10 weeks pregnant. This has been my only completely and exclusively breastfed baby and the first 11 months where the hardest of my life (low supply, constantly pumping, and NO support from family). So I feel your frustration... I do agree with previous posters about the possibilty of you being pregnant...I had the same symptoms
    Good luck and its reassuring that other women feel the same as I do. This forum had been my salvation and support to continue BF and to do it all over again with my next one
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

Well my son is now 33 months and we are still happily nursing, but after reading your comments I remember having some of those same feelings, not too long ago. My son likes two twiddle and I can't stand that he knows its not allowed but its as though he can't help it so I pay attention to his hand and my other breast and try to hold it. I have heard they make necklaces for this purpose to keep their hands busy. The worst was after I had worked my normal Saturday and Sunday night and taken care of LO all day long Monday with no sleep and for some reason at night I had no desire to nurse and would try to skip the late evening feeding but it caused him so much grief and me too I finally realized if I just nursed he would only need to nurse for a short time and then be ok and everything would be right in the world, Where as if I stuck to my guns and wouldn't give in it was a long night for both of us and not worth it. Those feelings have passed so I am not sure what caused them so maybe it will pass with you also. My initial goal was one year. Now I tell people I am trying to wean by 3, but I'm not really trying that hard more just waiting for him to be ready.