Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting

Default Biting

Because of previous latch issues (he always held his tongue high, which was corrected with suck training), he tends to clamp his gums over my nipple during our attempts to latch, or while pulling off. For example, if he is fussing, or upset, I try to nurse him like I did my daughter at this age. The breast always calmed her down. Well, for my son, when he is fussing and I try to get him to breast, he clamps down on it instead. drives me insane. i know he is too young to realize what he is doing, but what can I do to minimize this? In the previous situation I try calming him then start again or wait, but he does it at other times too.
    Jess

Mom to Gwyneth, 03/03/09, BFed 18 mos.

Mom to Leo, 03/04/11, currently BFing.

Default Re: Biting

any advice?
    Jess

Mom to Gwyneth, 03/03/09, BFed 18 mos.

Mom to Leo, 03/04/11, currently BFing.

Why is he upset at these times? My first thought is that he is reverting back to what he did before the training you did with him because he is too upset to remember that he can't nurse like that. I don't really have any advice on how to remedy this. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*librarylady View Post
    Because of previous latch issues (he always held his tongue high, which was corrected with suck training), he tends to clamp his gums over my nipple during our attempts to latch, or while pulling off. For example, if he is fussing, or upset, I try to nurse him like I did my daughter at this age. The breast always calmed her down. Well, for my son, when he is fussing and I try to get him to breast, he clamps down on it instead. drives me insane. i know he is too young to realize what he is doing, but what can I do to minimize this? In the previous situation I try calming him then start again or wait, but he does it at other times too.
    My DD is like this. If she is upset, I cannot calm her down with nursing without getting chomped. Unfortunately, I have to give her a pacifier while I settle her down. Once she is calm we can nurse. It took me a while to accept this since nursing was always the best method to soothe her brother.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wdsmom View Post
    My DD is like this. If she is upset, I cannot calm her down with nursing without getting chomped. Unfortunately, I have to give her a pacifier while I settle her down. Once she is calm we can nurse. It took me a while to accept this since nursing was always the best method to soothe her brother.
    I also wanted to suggest a paci.