Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thinking of weaning

Default Thinking of weaning

My baby is now 9 months old and I had originally thought of weaning at six months but time flew and next thing I knew he was six months old. Then I decided to extend it since it was working out for both of us. But now that he is older everyone keeps asking, are you still breastfeeding??? Like it's a bad thing, it's soo annoying. Well I have been thinking that maybe it is time to wean. I asked his pediatrician if it was ok to stop and his reply was that I have already gone further than most moms and that it was really up to me but that it wouldn't make much of a difference now since he is eating solids. Not much encouragement there. And my mother says that it is best to wean him now because after one year it will be very difficult for him. I can't stand the idea of making my baby cry or hurt because mommy doesn't want to feed him. So I was thinking maybe I should stop now before that happens, what do you think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Default Re: Thinking of weaning

HAve you heard of baby lead weaning?
    Some moms let the baby deside when they are done.

There are lots of benfits to nursing an older baby.
    One realy neat benifit is less sickness, this time of the year that might just save your sanity. I have older kids in school and they (plus hubby) drag home every cold and flu that goes around. My 3 year old has been the healthist kid.
    I hoping that she will nurse untill spring. I don't know if that will happen but it would be great to get threw the cold and flu season.

LLL says wean slowly with love theres lots of info on the web site about how to cut out feeds and replace them either with solids or formula if baby is under a year old.
    realy its up to you do what works best for you and baby.
    IF you want to contine to nurse then do so!

I am surprised your pediatrician would say that!! It is recommended to nurse one year and beyond!! If you are happy and your LO is happy its really no one else's business. I encourage you to look into baby led weaning as mentioned by pp. Good Luck and you are doing a great job as a mama!! If you don't like confrontation, you don't necessarily have to mention that you are still nursing.

Exclamation Re: Thinking of weaning

Hi there!

What made me decide to try child led weaning was reading the book Mother-Daughter Wisdom by Christiane Northrup, M.D. (I read while pumping or when dd was asleep)
    It really made sense to me and I think that it doesn't matter if you have a son or a daughter, her bf advice works well for both sexes.

Just like you I got misguided and unwanted advice from family, friends and co-workers. You wouldn't believe the hogwash that was told to me. Doctors were fine, but their nurse practitioners (who I refuse to see now) were absolutely determined to get me to wean dd. It was my husband who gave me the support, and confidence I needed to ignore well meaning but, erroneous advice and to do what as a family we had commited to do; To make and follow through with family decisions my dh and I had agreed upon without the interference of outside influence. Afterall, when it's all said and done, our children's welfare rest squarely upon our shoulders.

I will always feel great and proud to have followed through with child led weaning.

You are doing great! Keep your chin up and do what you want to do!

knmama

Wow thanks for all the great information everyone. I hadn't even thought of self weaning. As my baby is getting older he is cutting back on feedings already. But I know he BF for comfort also.

It's true, he would be much healthier if I continue at least up to a year. I just don't understand why so many woman see BF as such an inconvinience. Out of four woman in my family that had babies this year, only I am still BF.

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement and great info!

Hi!

A couple of great books for you to check out:

-How Weaning Happens by Diane Bengsom

-Mothering Your Nursing Toddler by Norma Jane Bumgarner

Also, take a look at this information on the benefits of nursing a toddler:

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/advantagetoddler.html

Tiana
    *Who is so thankful that her 2.5 yr old ds is still nursing this week...he's been so sick, but nursing helps him feel better .

Quote Originally Posted by D&J'S MOM View Post
    Wow thanks for all the great information everyone. I hadn't even thought of self weaning. As my baby is getting older he is cutting back on feedings already. But I know he BF for comfort also.
    I think this is the case for so many nursing moms who don't know anyone who has done child lead weaning. That is also the basis for your mother's comment about it being more difficult after the baby turns a year old. She is assuming that at some point (probably not too far off) you'll HAVE to make the baby stop, and so probably sooner would be better. But there is another option. When the child is allowed to nurse until they outgrow the need, there's nothing difficult about weaning at all. And once you get past a certain age, children are better able to understand limits and handle changes. So, even if you decided to wean sooner than your baby would if completely left to him, you can do it gently and gradually without a whole lot of trouble. I think your doctor was also assuming that sometimes soon you'd be weaning (almost everyone does) and probably sees his response as being the politically correct, supportive of the mom's choices one.

There are many benefits to continuing to nurse a toddler, both physical and emotional (for mom and baby). In addition to the above links and and suggestions from LLL Tiana you may also want to check out The Nursing Mother's Guide to Weaning by Kathleen Huggins and this link to kellymom about extended nursing:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/index.html

You may also want to check out the section of these boards about Extended Breastfeeding. There have been a couple of threads in which people discuss the reasons they continue to nurse their toddlers. Also, you can see what kinds of challenges they face and how different people deal with various aspects of nursing a toddler.