Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will she wean?

Default Will she wean?

I'm getting ready to be away from DD for three days for a business trip. First time away overnight since DD was 9 months old. I'm no longer pumping regularly and DD (almost 16 mo. old) only nurses briefly 3-4 times a day (AM/right after work/PM before bed plus sometimes in the middle of the night). She doesn't take a bottle anymore so I'm wondering...will she self-wean if she goes almost 3 full days without "ninny". I only ask because DH and I were talking about the trip and he said "maybe she'll just decide she doesn't need it anymore after you return". Just got me thinking.

[Side note-DH is not forcing this. Always has been SO supportive of both co-sleeping and letting DD nurse as long as she needs to. He just mentioned it as an idea].

The whole nursing thing is really "out of sight, out of mind" with her. As long as I'm not around, she's ok and doesn't ask for it, but the minute she sees me (after I come home from work, etc) she demands ninny no matter what. I plan to handpump while on the trip just to relieve the pressure and keep my supply "activated" (just in case) but I'm just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences.

Default Re: Will she wean?

I think that my 17 month old son would be the same as your daughter, want to nurse as soon as I came in the door. He nurses most of the night though... have a great time on your trip and let us know how it goes.

I went away for three days too... no I don't think it will lead to weaning.. unless you take some measures before and after. My dd did cut down back then, though, because the separation did lower my milk supply a bit. And she didn't ask right away. So perhaps you could include it in a larger, slower approach to weaning, including a very different routine when you return... if weaning's what you're shooting for. If it isn't or even if you are ambivalant... then nope, you'll be right back to where you are now in a couple weeks.. But she WILL wean... eventually! :LOL

My dd, now 2.5, nursed once today for 30 seconds and was with me the whole day. But it was a very busy day. She is learning to be WITH me and not nurse. That is what seems to get US closer to weaning, anyway.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm honestly not sure how I feel about her weaning at this point. There is a part of me that is ready but another part of me that still longs for that connection with mommy. I guess we'll just see what happens and take it from there. Fortunately, my time away will coincide with a visit from the grandparents (they live far away and come to visit every 2-3 months) so hopefully that will be a good distraction.

Will give a report...meanwhile, if anyone has any further ideas or advice, I'd love to hear it.

Just to update everyone:

She was ok during the day but had a difficult 2 nights. The second night, she actually asked for "ninny" and got rather upset when she could not be satisified. And regular cow's milk would not do...

Needless to say I was very happy to see her and vice-versa. I was with her for about 10 minutes before she requested "ninny". It was a good experience overall though. And she most certainly is not any closer to weaning...

Quote Originally Posted by CJmama View Post
    Just to update everyone:

She was ok during the day but had a difficult 2 nights. The second night, she actually asked for "ninny" and got rather upset when she could not be satisified. And regular cow's milk would not do...

Needless to say I was very happy to see her and vice-versa. I was with her for about 10 minutes before she requested "ninny". It was a good experience overall though. And she most certainly is not any closer to weaning...
    Good for you! I am glad that this worked out wonderfully for you and your baby!

Thanks for the update. Tomorrow I leave for my own business trip, and this helps me think about what it will be like.