Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Husband wants formula supplement so he can help...

Default Re: Husband wants formula supplement so he can help...

Welcome and congratulations on your baby!!

I'd like to add another voice in agreement with all of the above advice. There are plenty of ways to bond with a baby that don't involve introducing a slippery slope that might lead to early weaning. Shame on those nurses - what poor (and inaccurate) advice. Just so you know, nurses aren't experts in human lactation. Lactation consultants are. In fact, you can bank on the advice of an LC above that of basically any other health care professional when it comes to breastfeeding. And any LC would tell you pretty much exactly what you've read, above

Good job on the nursing so far!!
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tgmperry View Post
    I do want to also add that I am a teacher and it doesn't seem like I will have time during the day to pump, therefore in August my milk supply will decrease anyway.
    Dammit, why is it always, always, ALWAYS the teachers and nurses who have the worst time finding time to pump???!!! You spend your days taking care of other people's kids, for piddling salary, and you don't get the courtesy of a 20 minute break so that you can care for your own.

I agree that going a whole workday without being able to pump is very likely to impact your supply, and that you may end up needing to supplement with formula at some point. But you may be able to supply more milk than you expect if you can work in some pumping sessions at home and on the way to and from school- there are ways to pump hands-free- and use a great pump (I'm thinking a Medela Pump in Style or equivalent). Also, beginning to work on your frozen stash now may allow you to push formula supplements farther into the future.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Talking Re: Husband wants formula supplement so he can help...

It is great that he wants to help. Maybe he should get up initially with the baby, let you use the restroom, and change the baby (I change my son before feeding so it is not to wake him, plus his reflux is so severe I cant lay him down for 30+min post eating) and then get settled in your BF area, have him bring baby and get you a nice cool water, etc. Then he can go to bed and you can feed the baby. That is what we did, but now I just get up with him (9wks old). I went back to work at 6 wks, and pumped. With a one sided Medela, it took too much time. I am a ultrasound tech in a hospital, so time is crucial. I am now using a double sided (Rental from hospital) and get done in 20 min or less. My son gets mainly breast milk and i pack fomula just in case. They do go through growth spurts and sometimes need extra. BUT when pumping, I do pump when he usually eats while I am at work, and i can only get about 1 bottle and 1/2. Its a hard thing to keep up, but do-able if you want to keep it up. My son has major intestinal issues and yeah, it would be easier to get formula like soy, but breast milk is MADE FOR THEM and easier to digest then ANY formula, my opinion. So i keep pumping away. And btw, before I returned to work, I was able to pump at home after about an hour post feeding and stocked up the freezer. I finally went out last weekend and my son had breastmilk in the fridge for his grandma to give him, it was nice to see a movie and dinner. Dont feel guilty about your decision. I decided to not stop breastfeeding bc personally, I love the connection. I am not ready to stop.

As far as I could tell from the website, that some states infact do NOT have breastpumping time laws. My works lets me do it, but it is hard to get it done when I have a patient with a fetus that is abnormal. (I am a high risk ultrasound tech). If you want to keep it up, you can. I know first hand it is hard, but he gets his breastmilk and sometimes 2 bottle of formula a day. If he needs it, not often though! And I dont work all the time, so he BF when I am home (3-4 days a week and in the am and evenings)

if you have until august, why not give your baby as much as possible of the best food/nutrition that you can until then. cross the supplementation bridge when you come to it! really you would be replacing the perfect food with something that is less than perfect. you can totally wait until you get to that bridge...
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I would stay open minded about pumping at work, you never know and so many of us have been very creative.

when you get closer to going back or know your periods off etc, post a new thread and im sure together we can find a way if that is what you want!

Well all the previous posts have just about covered it! Just wanted to say I agree with them
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    I would stay open minded about pumping at work, you never know and so many of us have been very creative.
    ohhh, yes... i pumped in a bathroom for fourteen months because i wanted to keep my job and not be bothered.... never asked once for "permission" just did it -- got my own extension and told my crew not to use the bathroom for one hour before i pumped. not awesome, right? but so worth it for my little sweetie.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I agree with the previous posters

Also... there is no need to supplement just because you want to get ready to supplement. Know what I mean? If you think you will need to supplement in August, wait until August. The more time your baby has only your breastmilk the better.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    I agree with the previous posters

Also... there is no need to supplement just because you want to get ready to supplement. Know what I mean? If you think you will need to supplement in August, wait until August. The more time your baby has only your breastmilk the better.
    very true
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it