Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pumping issues - suddenly not pumping much milk!

Default Re: Pumping issues - suddenly not pumping much milk!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    My first thoughts were (1) AF returning or pregnant; or (2) pump parts not installed correctly or need new membranes. I sometimes found that by taking everything apart and then putting it back together, FIRMLY, I could resolve suction problems. Another possible cause of lower output is a clogged duct, especially if it's mostly on one side. Any sore or tender spots?
    AF returning is possible, but I know that I'm not preg. I take the pump parts apart each night for washing and reassemble. But I will make sure they are put together firmly before I pump this morning. I also have new valves and membranes .

I don't think I have a clogged duct either. I don't have any sore or tender spots. Hmm. I guess I'll see if the new membranes do the trick in the next hour or so when I pump. Fingers crossed that was all that it was.

Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Hi Ladies.

Back again. Looks like it wasn't the membranes. I'm still not pumping what I used to and it's continuing to go downhill, sadly. I pump what I can in the evenings and that's usually just enough for his bottles. But occasionally he has extra and I just can't pump enough to replace the extra that he had. Thankfully, I think I have enough in the freezer to get us to 1 year without too much difficulty. I'm going to be stopping my evening pump once he's 11.5 months and just top up whatever I'm short with frozen.

At least this happened at 10 months and not earlier.

Are you pumping on the weekends too?

Sorry.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Call Medela. If you can stand it, pump more often.

When you nurse, does baby seem satisfied?

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Are you pumping on the weekends too?

Sorry.
    Yes, I pump once each evening on the weekends. I hate it, but what can you do?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Call Medela. If you can stand it, pump more often.

When you nurse, does baby seem satisfied?

Yes, he's very happy when we nurse (although he does just try and take a kamikazi leap off my lap the second he's done because he has things to do and see, lol).

Unfortunately pumping more often at work is not an option. My boss is already on my case about how long I pump for. I might be able to get another pump session in some mornings. But they are usually pretty hectic and my son nurses 2 - 3 times overnight. Then once when we wake up, then the other side before we head out the door.

Then I would not worry about it myself and would send what I could, offer solids and nurse as much as I could when together. You are just about to the point where you could pump wean and nurse when together for a long, long time.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I agree with the other ladies that you sound like you're in pretty good shape with your baby's age, his nursing happily when he's with you, and your freezer stash.

The one thing that crossed my mind, though, is wondering whether you are suddenly having a bout of hot weather. We are, and even though I don't feel like I'm dehydrated I have to up my intake of fluids a lot on hot days to make it equivalent to what I do on a normal day. I find this to be the case even when I'm in a climate controlled environment much of the day.

Just wanted to throw that out in case a bit of extra water might help.

Also, when I wanted a quick way to boost supply, sometimes for one of my pumping sessions I pumped ten minutes, rested ten, pumped ten, rested ten, and pumped ten again. That was just a quick way to tell my body that I wanted to up production just a little bit, and it wasn't quite as horrendous as adding in an extra session.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)