Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Okay need serious help!

Question Okay need serious help!

My LO is 12 weeks old and I have been breastfeeding since day one. We bought the Swing breast pump (single pump) I have pumped a few times but noting really. Well I got a double Medeula pump today and need to figure out who and when to pump. My son eats every 2-3 hours a day for 15 -20 min at a time. I just dont see how I can feed him and pump to have a stash for work and going out? Please help me girls? I am so lost. I dont want him to starve if I pump and then 30 min later he is hungry.....

Default Re: Okay need serious help!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*KeberleK View Post
    My LO is 12 weeks old and I have been breastfeeding since day one. We bought the Swing breast pump (single pump) I have pumped a few times but noting really. Well I got a double Medeula pump today and need to figure out who and when to pump. My son eats every 2-3 hours a day for 15 -20 min at a time. I just dont see how I can feed him and pump to have a stash for work and going out? Please help me girls? I am so lost. I dont want him to starve if I pump and then 30 min later he is hungry.....
    He wont starve. Your breasts are never really empty. Even if you cant get anymore out with the pump, your baby is better at emptying your breast then even a hospital grade pump.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Are you going to be working full time? You don't need that much of a stash ahead of time, b/c you will be pumping while away and using that the next day. You might only need a few days' worth of milk as a backup.

Every 2-3 hours is really good; that will give you plenty of time. Pump in the morning, immediately after a nursing session. You won't get that much at first (esp if your baby nurses on both breasts each time) b/c a) you just nursed and b) you are getting used to the pump. Save up the little bits - you can combine the different bits from different days - and eventually your body will get the signal to make more @ that time.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    Are you going to be working full time? You don't need that much of a stash ahead of time, b/c you will be pumping while away and using that the next day. You might only need a few days' worth of milk as a backup.

Every 2-3 hours is really good; that will give you plenty of time. Pump in the morning, immediately after a nursing session. You won't get that much at first (esp if your baby nurses on both breasts each time) b/c a) you just nursed and b) you are getting used to the pump. Save up the little bits - you can combine the different bits from different days - and eventually your body will get the signal to make more @ that time.
    So say at my 7am feeding pump after that. Then any other times through out the day? He only eats on one side every feeding.

What works best for me is to pump one side while the baby feeds on the other. This is the only way I have ever been able to pump any amount that matters. Doing it like this I pump twice a day (once in the morning and once in the afternoon, alternating breasts) and usually end up with a 4 ounce bottle by the end of the day.

I have found that my supply is so much lower at night that if I try to pump my baby seems unsatisfied with feedings so I limit all pumping to morning/afternoon.

Good luck!

If he only eats one side you could pump the opposite side while he eats (or right after if you can't work the logistics). I wouldn't do it for every feeding, but maybe once or twice a day.

Like the pp said, you don't need to build up a huge stash but since he's only eating on one side it's almost like you might as well. kwim? But keep in mind you don't have to be super strict about it at this point, since you are with him and he's nursing. Once you are working you will want to pump both sides every few hours to keep your supply where you need it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks guys I will try this in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cherron View Post
    What works best for me is to pump one side while the baby feeds on the other. This is the only way I have ever been able to pump any amount that matters. Doing it like this I pump twice a day (once in the morning and once in the afternoon, alternating breasts) and usually end up with a 4 ounce bottle by the end of the day.

I have found that my supply is so much lower at night that if I try to pump my baby seems unsatisfied with feedings so I limit all pumping to morning/afternoon.

Good luck!
    with this. When I was trying to build a stash this was the only way I got anything more than just drops of milk
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!