Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boobs still sore after 4 weeks...about to stop!

Unhappy Boobs still sore after 4 weeks...about to stop!

I am on the brink of giving up breastfeeding and it saddens me SO MUCH! I had to wean four week old Eli last night just for a few feedings. My boobs hurt so much that I needed the break! He wouldn't take a bottle until he was screaming and starving, and then when I did finally put him back on the breast, I would tell he had been traumatized by the thought of not having it before. He made these whimpering noises the entire time he ate and held onto my hands so hard that I thought they would turn blue!

Eli was born at 10 lbs and 3 oz. His appetite has been voracious from the get go, and I am having a hard time keeping up. My breasts aren't bleeding or cracked, but they HURT when he breastfeeds. It feels like sandpaper on an open wound right on the nipple area. Why? I don't have thrush or mastitis, and the nipples aren't even red.

I use the boppy or Mybrestfriend pillows to support him and even a nursing stool as well half of the time, so I know his positioning is decent (not perfect but ok enough).

Does this EVER get better? Will I EVER not hurt? Breastfeeding is not a good experience for me anymore....and I don't know how to change it. Eli won't be weaned without acting emotionally traumatized. Is it crazy for me to think he is being emotionally traumatized even? He yells bloody murder when I attempt to give him a bottle, but I wanna yell if he takes my breast.

Holy OUCH! Help puhleaseeeeeeee!!!!!!

Default Re: Boobs still sore after 4 weeks...about to stop!

Have you had a LLLLeader or IBLCC watch you breastfeed? When I've encountered problems I've found that often it is something little I've overlooked just because I don't know what I'm looking for all the time. If you haven't, I'd call someone who can watch you nurse right away. And yes, nurse does get so much easier and more comfortable, and yes, it is so worth working through the bumps in the road!

I so know how you feel! DS is 4 weeks old, and we are having so many struggles. First I took a while learning how to latch...then it was thrush, now he's always gassy and fussy. I still dont think our latch is quite right, because I wanna scream when he latches as well. It's a little bit the thrush, a little bit of not quite latching right, and I also have to admit that I never really was a fan of nipple stimulation...much to my husbands annoyance I have come VERY close to throwing in the towel, but the way I look at it is, what a waste of all this time and energy if I quit now. He is thriving...and I just keep telling myself that in a couple more weeks it will be easier. Dont beat yourself up if you decide to bottle feed. Both my DD's did just fine on formula. But try to give it just another week or two. You might find it gets better! Are you using a nipple cream, like lansinoh? It was really helping me, but I've had to put it away while I treat the thrush on my nipples. Like pp said, have a nurse or LC or eveb an experienced friend watch you latch him, rule out thrush for sure, use some nipple cream...and hang in there!

At 4 weeks bf was still very difficult for me and I wanted to give up too. The pain was terrible and I was sick and tired of having to nurse a voracious baby every hour! Looking at Dr. Newman's bf videos helped me with my latch and one day around week 6 or so the pain went away. I don't know if my nipples got tougher or if DD and I just got better at it but something clicked and it no longer hurts to bf. http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...d=18&Itemid=42

It does get better. It took me about six weeks. Your breasts are adjusting. Some people have more sensitive skin than others. Some babies suck harder. You will regret it if you quit and you will be so glad you stuck with it if you don't quit. I quit with the first and wish I could go back. Let your nipples out in the air as much as possible. Squeeze the colostrum over the nipple, let it dry, use lanolin. Do this every time you nurse. You should start healing soon. If you are talking about offering formula in a bottle, remember that you are still establishing a supply and the bottles are taking away from that. I agree with the pp about seeing a lll leader. In the meantime here is a link that shows a proper latch. Good luck and keep us posted on how your doing. You can do this.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/positioning.html

It definitely will get better It took me over 8 weeks (I already forgot exactly how long) but we are pain free now!! It's true.....you will have regrets about giving up but you'll never regret sticking with it. It's what I kept telling myself through the excruciating, toe curling pain!

Another vote for lanolin. I bought some today and, after the first use, I saw an improvement. I was amazed.

don't quit!!! see a lactation consultant about your latch. it's cheaper than formula.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

I'm sorry you're having these problems. I've dealt with a bunch of issues due to thrush over the past many months, and so I know how hard it is to have sore breasts. You are doing a great job by reaching out to ask for help. I second the opinion of going to see a LLL leader or a good lactation consultant (try to see a IBCLC). Hang in there. I know this is hard. Come on here for support and try to get connected with a local LLL group if there is one near you, if you haven't already. Let us know how you are doing. Don't rule out certain things right away if it doesn't seem you're getting an answer, get a second opinion. Just talking from experience that my doctor told me at first I didn't have thrush. Not that that is your issue, but just be persistant in getting some help.

Quote Originally Posted by Collinsmommy View Post
    I also have to admit that I never really was a fan of nipple stimulation...much to my husbands annoyance
    I had to jump in and agree with collinsmommy here. My nipples were so sensitive before that pleasure was not an option and even a shower that sprayed down to hard could get me good. I was more terrified of breastfeeding than I was of childbirth for this reason. I nursed with a nipple shield at first so my worst pain came about week 6 when I weaned DD off. There were times that I could hardly keep from crying/screaming/etc. while she nursed. But it does get better! If I can do it then anyone can! Now I don't feel a thing when she nurses. I think you definitely need to determine if it is a latch problem. Otherwise, try to leave your breasts out in the open air as much as possible. Sleep without a shirt if you can. One of the things that saved me were breast shields. If you go to the babycenter store at babycenter.com you can find some there made by Advent- or a simple internet search might find some other sites/brands. You wear them in your bra and your nipples are suspended in air. Sweet relief. I think everyone should have them. Don't give up yet! It will get better.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.