Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help, weight gain expectation?

Default Please help, weight gain expectation?

My son is now 7 weeks old. He was born small, 5 lbs and 5 ozs. At 4 weeks he was 5 lbs 12 ozs. The pediatrician expressed some concern so we started going in for weekly weight checks. At 5 weeks he weighed 6 lbs. At 6 weeks he weighed 6 lbs 6 ozs. And at 7 weeks 6 lbs 12 ozs.
    His diaper output has always been appropriate, he usually poops after all big feedings (he has times were he 'snacks' usually 2 or 3 times a day abd doesn't poop at these) But he eats every 1.5-3 hours depending on time of day so I never worried.
    He has club feet so he has casts from his thighs to his toes so it is hard to measure his length. Last week he had surgery so his casts were off and he is now 22 inches. He was born 17.5 inches.
    He did have lose skin, but it is tightening up, it is still soft, and he doesn't look chunky, he is pretty skinny. But he has chubby cheeks and muscle tone. He smiles and is happy between feedings. He is meeting milestones as far as development as well.
    At his dr appt yesterday the dr told me I needed to switch to formula because he 'looks skinny'. We have supplemented with formula in the past but this last week was all breast milk. I feel like this is so wrong. I don't want to go to formula. They are telling me it is only temporary until he catches up to where he should be. The dr says he should be 9 lbs 5 ozs by now. Any suggestions. They can't explain why I should switch to formula and when I questioned him he got rude and abusive. I am starting to wonder where he got his medical degree.

Default Re: Please help, weight gain expectation?

If u can, stick to your guns. I can't see how formula would help in the long run if all signs point to healthy. It certainly wouldn't help your milk production. How often does he eat? My LO was born @ 5 lb 13 oz but his weight has skyrocketed. He seems to eat ALL THE TIME (although it's getting better now ). If you can, maybe try having him nurse more? Mine would go at least every 2 hr, and throw in a cluster feed here or there). I also encourage him on one breast to try to get as much fatty milk as possible

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/index.html

Here's some information on infant growth patterns that you may find helpful. According to this, your baby has been gaining an adequate amount of weight in the last few weeks so I wouldn't be too worried. Yes he's small, but he was also a small baby at birth. As you mentioned, he seems happy and content and is meeting his milestones, so I'm sure he's just fine. You, as his mother, know best and it sounds like you're doing a great job

I had a doctor try to convince me that formula was necessary after my DD was slightly below what he expected her weight to be at her 1 month checkup. Like all babies are carbon-copies of eachother and therefore all gain weight the same way Now, at 8 months, she is huge and fat and healthy, all due to mommy's milk. Are you able to find a new doctor? You don't deserve to be treated disrespectfully for simply asking a question.
    Married my best friend 07/19/2008
    Proud mama to Harper Anne born 09/10/2010
    and every moment of motherhood

Based on what you describe, I don't think I would supplement. Your LO has been gaining 6 oz per week for the last several weeks, I think even during surgery. That is great weight gain, feel good about that, mama! my dd looked skinny at that age too. She was gaining at a normal pace but her length grew faster so that she was long and skinny.

But truly the key to making sure your baby is getting enough is To track the wet diapers- you should see at least 6-7 per day.

Your doctor sounds like a throwback to times when formula was considered better. Many doctors do not know much about, or apparently trust, bfing. That sounds like one of them. I'd try to switch, unless you like the way the club foot issue has been handled. Then I'd stay but ignore his feeding advice.
    Last edited by @llli*ooky; May 18th, 2011 at 08:10 AM.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

Where did the doctor come up with the weight he "should be by now"? All babies grow differently. That is a fact. Your baby is gaining weight, and it looks to be adequate amounts of weight. Some babies look skinny, not all babies are going to be chunky. I found this out first hand too. Jack is skinny as a rail, but the doctor is satisfied with his weight gain. You're his mom, go with your gut. If you are worried, maybe seek out a second opinion.
    I'm Sarah. Mom to Emily (1/27/05) and Jack (12/29/10)
    Wife to Joshua (3/6/08)
    We and

I'm more concerned w/ the way OP was treated; if otherwise sound medical advice is delivered in a rude and disrespectful way I think hasta lasagna, don't get any on ya'.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Most drs will push formula because the babies will gain faster with it. But if you plan to bf formula can be bad for your milk supply.

Heres something else to think about:
    http://massbreastfeeding.org/formula/bottle.html

You can also google WHO growth charts for bf babies. They're new and lotsa drs are still using the old ones.

You know your lo better then the dr. Do you think there is a problem?
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

I second the WHO charts for growth, height, etc. WHO charts are based on breastfed babies, the standard CDC charts that are used in American dr's offices are based on formula fed babies. It makes a big difference.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?