Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: heating expressed breastmilk

Question heating expressed breastmilk

If I heat expressed breast milk that was stored in the refrigerator for a few hours in a bottle using a bottle warmer how long do I have to feed it? For example, I just nursed my 1 month old and she started acting hungry 20 minutes later so I heated some milk that I pumped a few hours ago. She took one suckle and fell asleep and refused to eat anymore (bottle or breast). She just wants to sleep.

Do I need to dump the milk or can I keep it for a little bit to see if she wants it again? If I can keep it, how long and should I keep it at room temp or put it back in the refrigerator?
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: heating expressed breastmilk

This is not endorsed by LLL so take it for what its worth...just my personal experience! I have re-refridgerated it and then heated it again, but only once. We do it quite often actually, but I don't re-heat it more than once...does that make any sense?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Also, in my experience, there's no reason the milk actually has to be heated at all unless LO really likes it that way. My DD takes cold BM or formula straight from the fridge and doesn't seem to mind at all! So if you're not sure if you really need it all right away you might not even bother...
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

like erin, we also re-refridgerate the unused milk and re-heat once. if baby doesn't finish the bottle the second time around, we dump the leftovers.

here's a link with more information on re-heating.
    Reusing expressed breastmilkhttp://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/r...essedmilk.html

HTH!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

The link Aleina's_Mom posted contains the most recent research on your question.

Quote Originally Posted by maryberan View Post
    For example, I just nursed my 1 month old and she started acting hungry 20 minutes later so I heated some milk that I pumped a few hours ago. She took one suckle and fell asleep and refused to eat anymore (bottle or breast).
    You could put her back to the breast!

You see, lactating breasts are never truly empty. More milk is being made, even as your baby nurses, so breasts don't need time to "refill". Here is a great explaination:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html

Smile Re: heating expressed breastmilk

Thanks everyone for all of the great information!!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk