Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should i pump to relieve engorged breasts?

Post should i pump to relieve engorged breasts?

The pain is surely manageable and I feel like letting him eat when he is ready (anywhere from 1.5 hours to 3 hours) is a better way to regulate my milk supply. But I am not sure if this is true.

He has a TON of poopy and wet diapers a day - well over what is considered healthy. Today he is 5 days old and he hs had 4 poopy diapers by 9 am! So i am certainly not concerned that he isnt eating enough.

Thanks all - I love this forum!

Default Re: should i pump to relieve engorged breasts?

I'd be careful about pumping. In the beginning I pumped too much and caused oversupply issues. But I think that once a day isn't too much. It helped me have a freezer stash and some extra milk in case DH needed to give a bottle so that I could get out or we left DS with a sitter so we could have a date.

If it doesn't hurt though, I'd probably just leave well enough alone. Your body will start to slow down some with milk production in the next few weeks to meet the needs of your son.

Good luck,
    Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

thanks! i think i will let it go, in that case. I wont pump unless the pain is just too much

I second both pps! The site that Jolie provided is an excellent resource. I think the important thing to remember is that engorgement is more than just excess milk building up in the breasts...it is the buildup of many fluids, and removing some milk will allow for those fluids to move out. But you want to be careful about creating an oversupply...so if it becomes very uncomfortable, its good to pump to relieve the discomfort, but no more than that...take care of yourself. Get a lot of rest right now and enjoy those newborn days!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Default thank you all!

I am such a busybody, i am finding it hard to rest when he rests...at night i can, but during the day i just cant sit still - i feel like i have a million things to do and i need to learn to give up some control! myhubby keeps telling me to take it easy..

plus, i broke my foot 4 days before i gave birth so add tha tin and my hubby is downright pissy with me (because he loves me!) that i am up and doing stuff!

Default Re: thank you all!

Please do sit down and rest! It sounds like you could really use the time to heal, not only from the birth, but also your broke leg. I can't imagine.

Do you have anyone to help?

We live on the west coast and both families live in the northeast - so no help but the hubby. The thing is, i dont feel overwhelmed at all. will i? is the beginning just the easier part? i mean there are times i wish he didnt want to eat once an hour, but overall - i WANT to do this all myself!

I know, i do need to take it easy - or risk burnout!

this kid pooped 10 times today already, and it is his fifth day of life at 6:40 pm - that's a good thing, right? the poop is yellow and seedy now. Once, he pooped on the changing table and it was sort of liquidy as well - is that ok?

thanks soooo much for all of your help!

The poo sounds perfectly normal. And yes, at some point you will probably feel overwhelmed (I think everyone does), but enjoy feeling on top of things now. And, if you don't, it would be a good "abnormal", right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mamakazi View Post
    We live on the west coast and both families live in the northeast - so no help but the hubby.
    Your dh is a great help, I imagine.

The thing is, i dont feel overwhelmed at all. will i? is the beginning just the easier part?
    It sounds like your dh is very supportive. That helps a lot!

i mean there are times i wish he didnt want to eat once an hour, but overall - i WANT to do this all myself!
    That's GREAT! Do you have a local LLL Group? Later, you might find that getting out and visiting with other nursing mothers is a great confidence booster, as well as a chance to get away for a couple of hours (a break from the norm, if you will).

I know, i do need to take it easy - or risk burnout!
    Well, not only that, but you will just FEEL better if you take care of YOU!

this kid pooped 10 times today already, and it is his fifth day of life at 6:40 pm - that's a good thing, right? the poop is yellow and seedy now. Once, he pooped on the changing table and it was sort of liquidy as well - is that ok?
    That's a VERY good thing! What goes in, must come out.

thanks soooo much for all of your help!
    You're VERY welcome! We're glad you found us!