Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I worry?

Default Should I worry?

DS is 11 months old and currently breastfed. He also eats three meals of solids. Typically I nurse him when he wakes up, before naps, and before bed. He'll occasionally ask to nurse at other times too, but those are really only "quick snacks." He gets solids at traditional meal times--when I eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. He does eat quite a bit during these meals and has for a while. He wets at least 5 diapers per day (a couple are soaked), and poops at least 2 times per day. I'm not sure of his weight gain since we haven't been to the doc. in a while.

So, here's my concern: my supply is dipping as I would expect, but I'm not sure if I should work to recover it. I know it's lower because he's not nursing as much any more so the demand is down. However, last night about 2 hours after his final feeding, I was only able to pump about 1 oz. combined. Typically I could pump about 2-2.5 oz. Also, he seemed to be really desperate to nurse this morning which is unusual behavior for him. He kept pawing at my shirt (his signal for boob) and, of course, I nursed him. This morning, after nursing at least three times within a two hour time frame, he ate his breakfast completely. This is unusual too. Normally I have to separate nursing and solids meals otherwise he won't eat the solids.

I know naturally my supply will go away as he eats more solid food, and I do plan to wean him off day nursing after his birthday because I'm going back to work at the end of August, but I do plan on continuing night feedings. The only reason I pump is for his daily infant cereal since I'm with him all the time. What do you think? Is this something I should be worried about? Or is it just another one of those changes in breastfeeding that just happen?

Default Re: Should I worry?

Have you already gotten your period since giving birth? I believe that can cause a temporary dip in breastmilk.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Default Re: Should I worry?

It sounds like a growth spurt to me. And I think that it's all supply and demand. So if he demands more and you let him he will get you to make more. Which actually usually happens right after a year anyway because their first year molars break and take 4-6weeks to come in and they are in pain the whole time. So they nurse more then.
    I wouldn't worry. The answer to making more milk is always to just nurse on demand. At this point, especially if you are always together, you can really trust your body to just do what you are supposed to. Women go away after the year point for nights or weekends away and come back and pick up where they left off. Don't feel like you need to wean just because you are going back. I went back to work full time at 14months after being home with him and had no problems with engorgement from now being away for 8-10hours and no problem nursing on demand while still together. Even though the demand 2 days a week was almost twice the demand the other 5 days.

Way too lazy for formula