Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weird brown stuff in poop??

Default Weird brown stuff in poop??

My DD is 5.5mo and has been exclusively BF for the first 3.5 months and now receives expressed BM from a bottle when I'm at work. It's perfectly normal for her to go 3-5 days without a BM and when she goes, boy does she go! Yesterday, she had 2 explosive BM, one at daycare and one at home about 5 minutes after BFing. This by itself is abnormal for DD. Since I was home for her second BM, I was able to see what it looked like. It was the normal yellowish brown watery BM, but this time, there were weird short brown things in it that almost looked like skinny worms, but they weren't worms.... I don't really know how to describe it. In addition to this, she also had a .5 inch string of something that looked like it could have been blood. This alarmed me of course, so I placed a call to have my ped call me back. In the meantime, I called daycare to ask for a description of the poop and it was the same as I described above with the exception of the blood. Since I'm a FTM, I'm already overly paranoid. So I asked daycare if they've ever seen a BM like it before and they said no and that none of the other infants have anything that looks like it, so she didn't contract anything from daycare. When the ped called me back, he said he hadn't heard of anything like it either, but since her demeaner was fine and she was happy, he wouldn't be alarmed unless it continued and there was blood in her poop again. I should mention that I just started giving her solids, only on the weekends when I'm home to monitor her. Last weekend she had maybe a tsp of banana mixed with BM. She had no reaction to it so I gave her about the same amount again this past weekend and I also tried giving her rice cereal friday night. On Sunday, I gave her about 1.5tsp of a bland chinese rice porridge, which is essentially overly cooked and diluted rice that is completely broken down. Any ideas what this could be and what could cause such a strange BM?

Default Re: Weird brown stuff in poop??

other than the possible blood it could just be the solids you see coming out. I know I can see chunks of carrot, blueberry skin etc in my DD's poop
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

Was it a fresh banana? My kids would get those little brown things when they ate fresh bananas.
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

Whew... thank goodness!!! DH and I thought it was the banana too, but there was a ton of it but she only had about 1 tsp of banana... and yes, it was a fresh banana. I plan on trying to make my own baby food, this way I know exactly what's in it. Glad to hear others have dealt with the same thing. When daycare hadn't seen it before, that really worried me! Maybe it's different for BF babies??

Banana produces little brown poop strings.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sounds like banana to me with the exception of the blood. When DS first started eating banana, I remember wormy looking things.

Thanks for the input ladies! I was told that the blood, if that's what it was...it was stringlike, could have been from straining.

I knew it was banana the first time I saw it, and I STILL couldn't believe it. I'm positive my daughter had less than a teaspoon, and there were loads of black threads for at least 4 poops.
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10