Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: green slimey poop?

Default green slimey poop?

my son goes from seedy bright yellow to thick green green! slimey poop. he goes normally about 6-10 times a day and he still does when his poo turns green and slimey. and then it will slowly transition back to an orangybrown slimey to yellow slimey and then normal poo again. I dont understand what could be causing this.

He eats and acts normal, he is 4 mos old, and exclusively breastfeed, no bottles of anything, not even breast milk. the bouts seem to be random, sometimes, lasting days to weeks and then sometimes having short periods in between to weeks in between. It started happening around 3mos, but has recently become more frequent. What could be causing this?

Default Re: green slimey poop?

I don't think it is anything to worry about. I think it is normal for babies to have ranges of colors of poop.

Ok good. It just seems weird to go from dark green to brown to bright yellow. atleast its normal.

I seem to see a correlation between that and teething, well a symptom of teething, drooling. It seems when my baby swallows a lot of drool the poops change. Also, pay attention to your night supply. When DS cut down on nursing at night my boobs were really full of foremilk and he wouldn't get much hind milk at night. I'd try maybe nursing twice per side to see if that helps.

Are they odd smelling?
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

It may be nothing but green mucusy poop can be a dairy intolerance
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ity.html#signs

Is it frothy? That can be a fore milk hind milk imbalance.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Well I have Crohns Disease, and I know that can be passed to a child. IBS and other sorts of Inflammatory Bowel Disease runs in our family. I don't have any actual food allergies, but I have a hard time with with Beef, Wheat, Whole Oats and Whole Grains, Fresh Fruit and Vegetables and a few other things.

I wonder if maybe certain things may bother him too?

I have noticed his poo has been frothy, but maybe only once or twice. The only times I've noticed it is when I went to change him and he started to go, it was foamy/frothy like a cappuccino? It was during a time of green slimy poo. He only takes one side at a feeding, he wont even try to latch the other side, he just turns away. Could that be causing the possible imbalance?

He has started to drool a lot more these past few weeks and has started to teeth some, he's had puffy gums and likes them rubbed and he's recently started clamping down on anything and everything including ME. I did not notice the green slimy hardly at all before he started drooling at 11 weeks old, but there are times when he is drooling a lot now and he still has yellow seedy poop. I'm not sure, its hard. My husband is in the Army and I'm a home maker so I get really exhausted sometimes and days/times blur together so please excuse my generalization of things or maybe a slight misconception of time.

He's 20 weeks now, so this has been happening on and off for nine weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carmen.arizona View Post
    I seem to see a correlation between that and teething, well a symptom of teething, drooling. It seems when my baby swallows a lot of drool the poops change. Also, pay attention to your night supply. When DS cut down on nursing at night my boobs were really full of foremilk and he wouldn't get much hind milk at night. I'd try maybe nursing twice per side to see if that helps.

Are they odd smelling?
    I agree with carmen about the teething - I have a 4.5 month old, who has been teething for the past month (DH's family are early teethers), and I've noticed that poops sometimes tend to get more frequent, mucousy, and green on heavy drool days. That being said, not all heavy drool days result in this kind of poop - it's been an on and off thing, with mostly "normal" poops
    Last edited by @llli*sallycanuck; May 19th, 2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: added info