Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freezing/Thawing Question

Default Freezing/Thawing Question

My sister is getting married in a little less than two weeks, and I'm the matron of honor, so I don't think I'm going to be able to BF much the day before or the day of the wedding. I am just starting to build a stash, so that I'll have enough for that weekend. It's going to be hard for me, because I'm *just* making enough as it is.

Last night, I pumped 4 oz and I put it right into the freezer. I know that when I need to add to that bottle, I just need to let the milk cool in the fridge first, and then I can combine it.

My question is more about the logistics of it. We are taking a flight the morning before the wedding. I don't think I'll be able to keep the milk completely frozen. (Any advice on how to??) My plan is to put the bottles in a little cooler with an ice pack, and put that in my checked bag (and pray it doesn't get lost). When we arrive at my parents house, if it's at all melted, I can't put it back into the freezer - right? I have a feeling it will be a little slushy at that point.

So then I only have 24 hours before I need to use it or dump it, correct? What if I need the milk for 48 hours? I'm obviously going to be pumping or BFing while I am running around like crazy doing stuff for my sister - but I'm worried I'm not going to have time to pump enough to feed him. Plus, I'd rather be BFing him when we are together, and I really don't know how I'm going to fit pumping into my schedule when we are not together (when I'm getting my nails done, at the rehearsal, etc).

Any advice on how I can make this work?

Default Re: Freezing/Thawing Question

I know some mama's use dry ice to keep things frozen. Also you can take BM on a plane I believe it is under medical liquids....I would look into it.

I was always told that the 24hour window starts when all the slush is gone so you may be ok for 48 hours if you put the milk in the fridge as soon as you get to your parents to slow the thawing process.

Good luck!
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

I took milk on a plane, frozen, with one of those cooler packs before and it had thawed out completely by the end of the day. I would use dry ice if you can.

Any chance you can cart the baby along with you for most of your matron of honor duties? I think it would be easier to nurse while you're doing stuff than to pump. You can't really pump and do anything else at the same time... or at least, I can't.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marilyn612 View Post
    Also you can take BM on a plane I believe it is under medical liquids....I would look into it.
    Yeah, I have heard that too. I'm not sure about the ice to keep it cold though. I'll check out TSA's website.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marilyn612 View Post
    I was always told that the 24hour window starts when all the slush is gone so you may be ok for 48 hours if you put the milk in the fridge as soon as you get to your parents to slow the thawing process.
    That would be nice! Can I tell if the milk is bad because it will smell?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I took milk on a plane, frozen, with one of those cooler packs before and it had thawed out completely by the end of the day. I would use dry ice if you can.
    Oh, darn. I'll look into dry ice.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Any chance you can cart the baby along with you for most of your matron of honor duties? I think it would be easier to nurse while you're doing stuff than to pump. You can't really pump and do anything else at the same time... or at least, I can't.
    Yes and no. I am going to take DS to the hair salon, because we're all taking turns getting our hair done. The nail salon might be a little harder, as my hands will be occupied. It's really going to be the rehearsal (the minister doesn't want a baby "distracting" us as we are practicing, so we are going to leave him with my aunt who lives close by) and the wedding/reception itself. I think it's going to be really hard to BF him when I am wearing my dress, unless I go to the bathroom and take it off... which I would rather not do. I would like to be "present" for as much of the day as possible, so I don't feel like I am missing out on my sister's wedding.

As far as traveling with breast milk, I can help you there. I wouldn't take any frozen, b/c I wouldn't want to worry about it thawing. There is no way on God's green earth I would ever check breast milk; I am too paranoid.

You are technically not allowed to take ice w/ you through security, so what I did was bring a TON of ziploc bags with ice, planning to dump the ice when they made me and then get more at a restaurant or other food establishment. I went through the special family/medical liquids line, and they didn't end up making me dump it out.

You really would only need to bring enough with you in the first place to get you started. You can give him the next day what you pump the day before (like during the rehersal).

No offense, but I would tell that minister to stick it in his ear. I would think he would get more distracted by your boobs leaking milk all over the place.

ETA: I can't remember (and am apparently too lazy to look), but you don't have lipase issues, do you?
    Last edited by @llli*jeno; May 17th, 2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: more info
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    As far as traveling with breast milk, I can help you there. I wouldn't take any frozen, b/c I wouldn't want to worry about it thawing. There is no way on God's green earth I would ever check breast milk; I am too paranoid.

You are technically not allowed to take ice w/ you through security, so what I did was bring a TON of ziploc bags with ice, planning to dump the ice when they made me and then get more at a restaurant or other food establishment. I went through the special family/medical liquids line, and they didn't end up making me dump it out.

You really would only need to bring enough with you in the first place to get you started. You can give him the next day what you pump the day before (like during the rehersal).

No offense, but I would tell that minister to stick it in his ear. I would think he would get more distracted by your boobs leaking milk all over the place.

ETA: I can't remember (and am apparently too lazy to look), but you don't have lipase issues, do you?

Oh yeah - I can get ice after I go through security!!! I didn't even think about that! So, maybe I should keep the milk in my freezer until that morning, and then I will pack it with ziplock bags of ice. I'll just get more ice if I need to get rid of it. And then when I get to my parents' house, I'll put it in the fridge and use it in 24 hours.

If I bring enough with me for Friday (which will be my nails and the rehearsal), I'll just have to pump a lot Friday night to have enough for the wedding itself. And if I can't get enough, I'll just have to take my dress off in the bathroom during the reception. I guess that is the best I can do.

The minister is pissing all of us off. She's actually a woman who has children (I don't know if she BF though), so it's especially ridiculous. I don't want to push the subject, because we are already going to be breaking a lot of other "rules" so that my sister is happy. I'll be okay with DS not being there, since it won't be for too long (just one feeding, I think).

No, I don't have lipase issues that I am aware of. I only have kept my milk in the fridge for one day, and I've only frozen over the weekend.

If you don't have lipase issues, don't freeze it. Just take along liquid milk. BM is good in a fridge up to 8 days. I would just take what I needed along and plan to put it in the fridge upon arrival, keeping it with an ice pack.

That said, I personally take babies to weddings and nurse there. NIP is easier than PIP. Particularly with a dress you don't want to drip on.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    If you don't have lipase issues, don't freeze it. Just take along liquid milk. BM is good in a fridge up to 8 days. I would just take what I needed along and plan to put it in the fridge upon arrival, keeping it with an ice pack.

That said, I personally take babies to weddings and nurse there. NIP is easier than PIP. Particularly with a dress you don't want to drip on.
    Wow, I thought I had read somewhere that it was only good in the fridge for 3 days. I guess I don't need to be freezing from Friday - Monday anymore! 8 days is so much more convenient! I think if I carefully plan, I probably will be fine with just liquid milk in my carry-on bag (with ziplocks of ice).

Do you have any advice for NIP when wearing a dress? I'm going to have to unzip it and pull it down in order to gain access. That just seems so ridiculous and difficult to do, unless I am in the bathroom (or somewhere else private).

I would personally change my clothes at the first opportunity. Or I'd find somewhere to sit and take my dress off to nurse and relax.

You will have to undress to pump anyway
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I would personally change my clothes at the first opportunity. Or I'd find somewhere to sit and take my dress off to nurse and relax.

You will have to undress to pump anyway
    I don't think I'm going to be able to change my clothes, because I want to be in the dress for the photographer. I don't want the pictures to look silly later.

I actually wasn't planning on pumping during that time either. I know, that isn't good. I would miss out on probably 1 feeding the whole time, if I can time it right (with BFing before and after ceremony). I guess I'll find out if there is a private room I can use, and I'll just take my dress off to BF.

So much to think about on top of all the other matron of honor duties! I think I am just freaking out unnecessarily.