Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teething?! Pls help

Unhappy Teething?! Pls help

Hello everyone! Ok so I'm super frustrated! Past 2 nights my 3 month old gets fussy and doesn't want to nurse. He starts crying hysterically and sticking his hands in his mouth. He also drools alot and will chew on anything he can get his little hands on. He will do this for like an hour until he gets tired enough and falls asleep. Can he possibly be teething this early? What can I do to help him? He doesn't want to nurse which is so frustrating! I feel helpless for the first time. any insight?
    Mommy to Desmond born 2/4/2011 8lbs 13 oz and Dean born 6/4/2014 7lbs 14oz

Loving and

Default Re: Teething?! Pls help

Hi mama. sorry to hear you're so frustrated! is it only in the evenings that your baby refuses to nurse? (you mentioned the past 2 nights..) around 2-3 months old my baby was very fussy in the evenings only for 1-2 hours, didnt want to nurse, only would tolerate being walked around.

it could be teeth. this page might help:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html

other mamas should be around with some good advice
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post
    Hi mama. sorry to hear you're so frustrated! is it only in the evenings that your baby refuses to nurse? (you mentioned the past 2 nights..) around 2-3 months old my baby was very fussy in the evenings only for 1-2 hours, didnt want to nurse, only would tolerate being walked around.

Yes! It's only at night, during the day he is fine. Same thing w my baby...I have to walk him around.
    Mommy to Desmond born 2/4/2011 8lbs 13 oz and Dean born 6/4/2014 7lbs 14oz

Loving and

could be teething. the vaccum pressure from nursing can sometimes make teething pain worse. try giving her a frozen wash cloth or some tylenol and see if she settles (just my opinion)
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

this is my experience, so not saying what's happening to you...but my LO at 2-3 months was like that every night for about 2-3 weeks straight. i tried everything and nothing helped but walking around and me enduring it. once i accepted (after trying all physical solutions), that she was going to be crying from 7-8pm every night for example, it became easier for me to bear it. I think its normal though, as long as she's eating fine the rest of the time. She did grow out of it. Hang in there! Of course first make sure its not something physical that you can resolve: teething, ear infection, gas, needs burping, etc.

If you ever feel like you can't take it (the crying making you crazy, wanting to kick things for example) just set LO down in her crib or a safe place (stroller, carrier) or hand her over to a friend or your DH so you can take a sanity break for 5 minutes. Get some water, go outside for a minute, wash your face, etc. You'll feel better.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

if you can, freeze some BM in small quantities, like small cubes and put either in a infant mitten/sock or a mesh feeder for him to chew on. infant tylenol or motrin will be helpful too. teething CAN start as early as 2months so good luck [im going thru it now. she's not always in pain, but soemtimes she has both hands in her mouth pressing down on her lower back gums
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

We have been having the same issues on and off, and are certain it is teething (DH's family were all early teethers, and DS has big cheekies as it is and do they ever flame!). It's also worse at night for us. This started when he was about 2.5 months, and we are still waiting for those toothies a couple of months later!

On the worst evening yet, DS actually bit me while nursing (ouch! ), and did the same with a bottle (my nipples needed a rest!). I didn't worry so much about him only getting a tiny feeding in, as he is otherwise healthy, has good feeds that day, and still had wet diapers. As others have mentioned, a cool wet washcloth and tylenol help (I only tend use the tylenol if we have major issues that interfere with feeding, sleep is not happening after many hours, etc).

Good luck!

Oh yes - teething is definitely a possibility. From my experience, it was always worse at night for him. (which makes sense considering when I'm sick, I always feel worse at night...). My LO started teething around 3 months - everyone thought I was nuts. It waxed & waned though - and he didn't cut his first tooth until he was 4.5 months old - which is still pretty early.

Anyway - definitely try a cold washcloth. I tried frozen breastmilk and my LO actually yelled at it. It was HILARIOUS. He tasted it, and pulled back, tasted it again and looked at it and just sort of hollered at it - not cry, not squeal, but yelled. Like "Why do you taste like mommy but why are you so damn cold!" So I had better luck with a washcloth that was half frozen. Not so cold, not so confusing.

Also - if you can find them, Hylands Teething Tablets. They were recalled, but some places are still selling them. After calling Hylands, I found out that they will be re-released this summer - and the formula is staying EXACTLY the same - the only change is the container they come in has to be child-proof.

We're working on the top teeth now - and it's been going on weeks again, so I can totally empathize. Good luck mama!
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.