Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this normal? Increased sessions?

Default Is this normal? Increased sessions?

I suspect I know the answer to this but wanted to put it out there in case anyone else also went through the same thing. Our DD is almost 21 mos and is not showing any signs of weaning. A couple of weeks ago, I made the transition to a SAHM from working full time out of the house. Now that I am around more, she is asking to nurse MUCH more frequently (in addition to the nap nursing - we nap together ) and has decreased her adult food intake by a LOT. I'm concerned that she's reverting to the milk-calories being higher than taking in more calories from chewable food during the day. She is also teething, but I haven't been able to tell much of a behavioral difference otherwise.

If this is temporary and she is excited to have me home, how long should I expect this to last? I don't want to withhold milk calories since she's refusing to eat "meals" with us anymore like she used to do.

Anyone else went through this? Going through this now?

Thanks, Mamas!
    Married to my and mama to DS 8-99 and DD 8-09.

Default Re: Is this normal? Increased sessions?

Congratulations on becoming a SAHM!

Did she nurse that way on weekends before too?

My guess is that it's partly her happiness to have you home and partly teething pain. I wouldn't try to discourage it, but you might be able to get more solid food in her in creative ways. I used to follow Lilah around on the playground and hand her a small piece of cheese or veggie or fruit every few minutes.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Default Re: Is this normal? Increased sessions?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Congratulations on becoming a SAHM!

Did she nurse that way on weekends before too?

My guess is that it's partly her happiness to have you home and partly teething pain. I wouldn't try to discourage it, but you might be able to get more solid food in her in creative ways. I used to follow Lilah around on the playground and hand her a small piece of cheese or veggie or fruit every few minutes.
    Thanks for the quick reply!

No, she didn't do this before on weekends. Even when we took a week off for Spring Break and went on vacation, she'd nurse at naps but then would still eat normal "meals" with us, sitting in her chair, eating out of her bowl or plate. Now, she won't sit in her chair, eat out of her bowl/plate, or use her own utensils. She screams to get out and then surfs the room coming by for an open-mouthed bite off our plates. She's not eating nearly as much as she used to when we'd pack her lunch for the day and then dinner with all of us together...
    Married to my and mama to DS 8-99 and DD 8-09.