Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: leaving nursing toddler for 5 days - do I have to pump?

Default leaving nursing toddler for 5 days - do I have to pump?

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to decide what to do about breastfeeding when I go away on a 5 day trip in a few months. My 22 month old nurses only at naptime and bedtime, and for a long time has refused a bottle. He's fine going to sleep with someone else with no milk of any kind. Because of that, and because I really started to hate pumping, I stopped using a pump a long time ago and it seems silly at this point to bring a pump along with me. But I [I]think[I] five days is probably too long to go without releasing some milk? Will I get engorged? Will I be leaking BM into my bridesmaids dress? Or will my supply just run dry? Should I wean before I go? Since it's still a few months away, I have plenty of time to decide to wean if that's the most practical solution. But right now I have no interest in weaning! I'd love weaning to be a choice, not forced because of this trip.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling explanation. If anyone has ideas, or has experienced something similar, please share!

Thanks!

Default Re: leaving nursing toddler for 5 days - do I have to pump?

bring your pump. If you don't need it, then don't use it, but if you get engorged or sore you will want it. I'm leaving my toddler for just a day/overnight and plan to pump at night and in the morning.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Yes you'll need to pump! Even when I was weaning DD1 and only nursed every other day for a very short amount of time in the morning, I still got a little engorged when I finally stopped nursing. If you are nursing twice a day every day, you will for sure get engorged if you don't pump for five days. Plus, unless you are wanting to speed up the weaning process, you will probably also risk seriously decreasing your supply.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I think you'll need to pump. Last month I went away two times - both for about 30 hours. My son only nurses 3 times in 24 hours, but I had to pump once during each trip. I couldn't bring my big electric pump, so I bought a cheap hand pump and figured I would hand express if I needed to and only open the hand pump if I really needed it, but I wasn't patient enough to hand express (was just taking too long to express enough milk to feel comfortable) so I used the hand pump once each trip.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

When I left my 2 yo of a weekend I did no pump but that was probably the longest I could have gone, I was beginning to feel antsy. I second the hand pump idea especially if you are simply pumping a little to relieve engorgement as opposed to replacing a freezer stash, you can simply hand pump for a few minutes if you feel uncomfortable.

I would not wean unless you and LO want to wean, you can simp,y resume nursing when you return.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thanks for all the advice - sounds like I should go get myself a hand pump then. We've gone 30 hrs without any nursing and it was fine, but it's a big leap from 30 hrs to 120! Would love recommendations on hand pumps, too - esp something small and cheap

if you search for a hand expression video online, there is one by a university that is really good. Then you wouldn't need a pump. Do you own a pump now? Why not just take that one with you if you do?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I have the Medela one that I like, you can pump one way to get a better letdown.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I had the Avent Isis, it was about $40 I think. Do you know anyone you could borrow one from?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

When I was in the hospital last year and away from my nurseling, I just hand expressed into one of those pink tubs... I didn't worry about saving the milk, though. If you want to save the milk, then you'd need a manual pump. Also, I didn't express a whole lot-- just to the point that I no longer felt engorged (because hand expression is a lot of work).
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God