Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need some support

Default Need some support

Hi Ladies, I'm a first time mom and have been EBF my LO for 3 months!!! She is gaining, pooping and wetting, Very well! She sleeps through the night and gets about 10 hours of sleep. Since being a new Mom I have lots of worry's and just want to do a good job! I just got my period and I don't know if it's that or what but I have become emotional and worried about her napping! Well the thing is she has only taken her naps on me and I worry she will become clingy, wont know how to self sooth or be independent. Everyone tells me to just put her down and when I do she just wakes up and then she does not get enough sleep. I tried nursing her in bed and she falls asleep but will fuss for the comfort of the breast, and that worries me to. I don't know what to do, I need some advice. I feel bad and beat myself up like I'm doing something wrong for allowing her to sleep on me! I'm I setting myself up for a so called " bad baby"??? Is it really that bad for her to nap on me? Anyone relate?? I know this is a breastfeeding forum ad my concern is about her napping, but I really need some advice.

Default Re: Need some support

Hello! My son only sleeps on me or next to me laying down as well.

As far as I know babies do not have the ability to be trained how to sleep at this young age. It is natural for them to want to be close to you. It is safe, comfortable and they are nourished with food and love. In fact I believe providing her with this security encourages independence in the future. She has a secure environment to grow from as she reaches out into an unfamiliar world.

Plus, she is sleeping 10 hrs straight?!? my little one does not even come close to this. 4 hours is through the night for me

It sounds like you have a very healthy content baby and that you are doing an excellent job. I say enjoy the time she snuggles like this, it passes quickly. As she gets older you can look into ways to help her learn to comfort herself if that is what you want, she is still so little.
    Last edited by @llli*mtmama; May 16th, 2011 at 02:07 PM.

My daughter would not nap without me holding her at that age either (she was a great night sleeper, in her own bed). She is 6 months old now and she takes 2 naps in her crib everyday, I did not force it. I would hold her and let her sleep and occasionally try the crib. One day we tried the crib and she stayed asleep for a 2 hour nap. She has been napping in it ever since. So, no, you will not have a ten year old still napping in your arms My baby outgrew it and I never forced her or let her CIO in the crib.

and

Mama, you aren't doing anything wrong at all... sounds to me like you are mothering your baby through breastfeeding, and using your instinct, doing what comes naturally to you. Sounds just right to me. Also, you aren't raising a "bad baby" at all. Trust me when I say, even though you might be letting your baby nap on you now, doesn't mean she won't be able to nap on her own when she is ready. I stayed home for 14 weeks with my daughter after she was born, and I let her nap on me every single day. I knew I was going back to work and wouldn't get as much time with her during the day, so I just soaked it up and enjoyed snuggling with her. And now, she is a wonderfully bright 3.5 year old little girl, who naps in her own big girl bed just fine. They will all do things such as napping/sleeping on their own when they are developmentally ready for it. No need to stress yourself out trying to make her sleep on her own, when both of you are doing just fine napping together. So tell those naysayers to bug off and mind their own business! Those other people are not the experts with YOUR baby, so just because they may have raised their kids a certain way, does not mean you have to do the same just because they tell you their technique is the best. You have every right to raise your baby just how you see fit!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Thumbs down Re: Need some support

Thank you for all of your posts, very kind of you all! Well she does not sleep a 10 hour without at least a couple feedings ( the second one we nurse in bed and sleep in). She has surprised me with a few solid 8 hours, here and there! But she does sleep in her own crib beside our bed. She is very content and happy baby. I just get myself worked up and worry about things...is she developing? Am I doing enough or to to much for her development? Is her lack of long naps affecting her devlopment? All these things are in my head. Is it a mother thing or am I creating unnecessary stress. I am very thankful for a healthy, happy, beautiful baby girl. I just need to stop putting so my pressure on myself and enjoy this time. Thanks again your post brought tears to my eyes, that I am not alone and even though I have a really supportive husband, I needed to hear from other Mom's. Thank you!

I could have written your post when my DS was 3 months old. The only difference was I could put him down--in my bed--and I had to lay down next to him. He napped like that until he was almost 9 months old. I was concerned because a lot of the Mommies I know and talk to regularly all did cry-it-out and had freedom during naptime. It was a system that worked for them. I tried it, and it didn't work for me or my DS. Laying down with him during his nap was just fine for both of us. I did a lot of reading while I "napped" with him which was nice. Anyway, he, too, also only took short naps--maybe 45 minutes but slept great at night. He'd go about 10 hours too with one feeding around 5 a.m. Still does.

However, I was worried that he would never be able to put himself to sleep too. But....he can. All of a sudden, around 9 months old, he started to refuse to rock. So, I put him in his crib where he cried for maybe a minute, but then he fell asleep. On his own. He was ready developmentally. Now, he still goes to sleep on his own for naps consistently (he's 11 months old) and sleeps for at least one hour. I do have to admit, though, sometimes I really miss those naptime moments we shared. They are really so cute when asleep. There is no way he'd sleep in my bed anymore (he doesn't even after his 5 a.m. feeding) which makes me remember back fondly to the times that he did.

You aren't doing anything wrong! My kids never napped on their own until around 6 months. And still sleep better on or with mom.

You can't spoil her. She'll be independent when shes big enough to be independent.

I say keep doing what your doing!
    LaRae

DH Paul Married 06/26/99

My angel baby Peyton born too soon 09/07/01

Mason & Maya- twins 02/15/06
    Jasperlyn 12/08/07
    Elise 11/22/10

http://laraeslife.blogspot.com/

Smile Re: Need some support

Thanks Ladies, everyone I know or talk to about it cannot relate. Giving me looks like UH-OH or just coming out and saying you are spoiling her. It started to make me feel bad. But I will continue to nap with my baby which I enjoy and make the transition slowly.