Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3rd child, still have Q's

Default 3rd child, still have Q's

I BF my DD#1 (now 18 months) for 2 months, when she was diagnosed with acid reflux and put on an AR formula. I am now BF DD#2 (4 weeks) and am having problems with over active letdown. I haven't noticed anything different than with DD#1, could she have been misdiagnosed due to my Ped. not looking into possible BF issues?
    Also, I pump occasionally to give daddy a chance to feed and give me a chance to shower occasionally (LOL), my hubby noticed that if left sitting for more than a few minutes (15-25min)my milk "separates" is this normal? DD#1 never let anything sit long enough to notice a change. I'm also assuming that the thicker milk on top is the hindmilk

Default Re: 3rd child, still have Q's

Hello there - welcome to the boards and congrats on your newest babe... I too am a mommy of 3 and this one I had many more questions with - (probably because you reaslize how much info is out there that you weren't aware of before!)
    Anyhow - to answer your question... yes it's normal for your milk to separate and yes it's the richer milk that is rising to the top - pardon the comparison but it's just like a cows milk...

* as far as the potential for a misDx on DD1 - of course that's possible and sometmes because of the OALD and over supply the babies experience more of the reflux symptoms... that is just what I experienced and when I "treated" my OALD/oversupply (and got off dairy) the reflux issues all but went away (almost ) and on an aside sometimes pedis don't like to /want to look into issues further than "oh, we have a problem with bf'ing - lets switch to Formula" But thankfully this time one didn't have too many answers for me and wanted to do nothing and the other wanted to run a battery of test - thank goodness for this board & the information and support or else I wouldn't be where I am today.. I pretty much self diagnosed (which I am not endorsing ) and have a great BF relationship with DS2 yay!!!

Hope this helps!
    good luck!

ETA the following:

Stored milk separates into layers. Cream will rise to the top. Gently swirl the warmed bottle to mix the milk layers.
    Quote taken from this site

Forceful/overactive letdown

Forceful letdown and concequences/treatments.

Common side effects of OALD

Here's a link on oversupply & reflux- just in case
    Last edited by Number3; October 30th, 2006 at 11:37 AM. Reason: links
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.