Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need advice - balancing pumping volume & schedule

Default Need advice - balancing pumping volume & schedule

Hi there - I am looking for advice to better balance my pumping volume and schedule. My beautiful baby girl is 8.5 months old. My goal has been to nurse and/or pump a minimum of 7 times a day in an effort to be able to continue to provide all milk needs until my daughter is at least a year old.

Since I returned to work when she was 12 weeks old, my daily schedule during the week has been:
    - 7:00a nurse
    - 9:30a, 12:30p, 3:30p pump (while at work)
    - 7:30p nurse
    - 10:00p pump
    - during the night pump once... time varies
    (note - weekends I nurse exclusively)

During the week at daycare, each day my baby takes two 6-oz bottles, two 4-oz bottles plus another 4-oz bottle for making her cereal in addition to homemade food for breakfast and lunch... so each day I send 24-oz to daycare with her.

Right now, I am pumping 5-oz on average each time... so roughly 25-oz for the 5 times I pump during a 24-hour period.

I'm having difficulty with the middle of the night pump... to be honest, I am just so very tired and would love to sleep through the night but do not want to jeopardize the 5-oz I pump during that time. For a while I was pumping at 5:00a or so to get a longer stretch of sleep and found that I was able to pump up to 8-oz at that time of the morning however when I nurse at 7:30a, it seems my baby is not satisfied so I assume my body has not had enough time between pumping and nursing. I've tried shifting to anytime between 2:30-4:00a and usually pump 5-oz at that time. Long story short however - I do not get a good night's sleep which is wearing on me...

Any suggestions how to better manage my pumping schedule to allow more sleep time and/or how to increase my volume from 5-oz to 6-oz per pump?

Thank you - I really appreciate your knowledge and experience!!

Default Re: Need advice - balancing pumping volume & schedule

What if you tried to nurse a few more times and drop some of the pumping?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I'd nurse more, and drop some of the pumpings as well Basically, according to kellymom, a 1-6 month old needs about 25 oz a day total and actually LESS than that after solids are introduced. So right now she's getting most of her breastmilk needs met at daycare during the week.

Thanks for your feedback... I had considered nursing more but am not sure how to fit it in. She wakes at 7:00a, we nurse at 7:30a then head to daycare at 8:00a - we get home from daycare at 6:00p and I nurse when putting her to bed at 7:30p and she is asleep by 8:00p and sleeps thru 'til the next morning.

Is there a 'rule of thumb' how long your body needs to 'recharge' between nursing sessions? If I nurse at 6:00p when we return home, will my body be ready to nurse again at 7:30p? Or should I wake her up early at 6:00a to nurse, then again at 7:30a before heading to daycare?

P.S. daycare is located 30 minutes from my office so stopping in to nurse during the day is unfortunately not an option.

You can totally nurse right after nursing before. Have you ever tried to nurse her in her sleep? Maybe you could do that in the middle of the night instead of pumping?

I nurse my baby on and off from the time we get home (also around 6 pm) until she goes to sleep for her first stretch of the night, at around 8 pm.

I've never had a baby that slept 12 hours in a row without nursing, so I probably can't be trusted to give advice on it. But I would much rather nurse in the middle of the night than pump.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months