Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 month old sleeping 8 hrs through the nite

Default 4 month old sleeping 8 hrs through the nite

So I have literally gone from sleepless nights, my LO nursing for comfort every 2 hrs to sleeping through the night. Both of us majorly sleep deprived and grumbly before. Cosleeping wasn't working for us anymore, I think my DD wasn't getting into a good quality deep sleep (neither was I), so I put her into her crib. She is sleeping anywhere from 6-8.5 hours now! I do miss the cosleeping, but I guess it wasn't working for us anymore. There has been a huge difference now in her, she is so chipper and cheerful now during the day and isn't cranly. She generally goes to sleep now at 7 pm and wakes up at 7 am, she will often wake at 1 or 2 am (and I will nurse her off to sleep) and around 4 or 5, a few nights she hasn't waken for 1/2 and did so at 5. I think if I topped her off again before I went to bed at 10 she wouldn't wake again until 7. I am looking forward to sharing a bed with the DH again as we couldn't cosleep all together comfortably as there wasn't enough room for us all. LO will be sleeping next to us in the crib for a while I am sure.

I have some concerns though and was looking for input on:

1. She was pooping like 5-6 times a day before (about 3 just in the am), but they were really runny, sometimes with a slight green/brown tinge and didn't have much seediness and they were very frothy. Was she perhaps taking in too much milk with all the nursing in the night? She is now only going about once a day, but they are more regular looking - more creamy, orangey and seedy and has about 8 wet dipes during the day down from over 10. I am just worried here as I don't want to see a drop in her weight or growth. She is now 4 months old, 16 lbs 14 oz and 65 cm long. During the day she nurses about every 2-3 hours, taking one side only at a time - I almost always offer the 2nd but she refuses.

2. I don't want to think about birth control yet, I don't want to do the BCP or IUD and would really like to reap the benefits of BF birth control and little longer while I decide what to do (thinking about a diaphram) but what is the longest stretch at night I can go without BF? Could I possibly nurse her in the middle of the night or pump and if so what time would be best to do it? I still don't have my period or any signs of it and I know of the 6 month rule, but how long can the BC effect last? I love not having to worry about TTOTM or taking a BCP.

3. I return to work in full-time July and do worry about my supply in the long run. Should I keep up a night time feeding to ensure my supply is good? Right now it's great, in the am generally I pump 4.5 from the breast LO doesn't take. I will build up a nice stash the month before I return to work.

Thanks ladies, I feel so much better now with real sleep, but I want to make sure it doesn't come with a cost! My doctor is encouraging me to enjoy this new found sleep, ditch the 2 am feeding (she assures it's for comfort), but I just can't relax that easily. Should I also try topping her up around 10 pm before I go to bed? We used to do this when we coslept.
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

Default Re: 4 month old sleeping 8 hrs through the nite

Well, I would not ditch any feedings your baby requests. I would however enjoy the sleep if I were you. It may change again.

Your baby is about a week older than mine. I'm jealous.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Well, I would not ditch any feedings your baby requests. I would however enjoy the sleep if I were you. It may change again.

Your baby is about a week older than mine. I'm jealous.
    Of course, but it's hard to tell because she will fall back asleep often on her own or with a little rocking or shhhhing.
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

Well, do whatever works for you. I just find nursing to be easy, but I'm cosleeping and don't have to get out of bed.

She's certainly not going hungry - she's a big healthy girl.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I always top mine off around 9:30 or 10, before I go to bed, even if I just fed her an hour before. I did that with my son too until her was about 9 mos old (but by then I was pregnant, so my supply was in the tank anyway, and it was pissing him off to be woken up to a dry tap).

Your supply will be fine at work, as long as you try to pump at least every 3-4 hours and have a good double electric pump. Keep in mind that LAM only works if your baby isnt going more than 6 hours without nursing.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    I always top mine off around 9:30 or 10, before I go to bed, even if I just fed her an hour before. I did that with my son too until her was about 9 mos old (but by then I was pregnant, so my supply was in the tank anyway, and it was pissing him off to be woken up to a dry tap).

Your supply will be fine at work, as long as you try to pump at least every 3-4 hours and have a good double electric pump. Keep in mind that LAM only works if your baby isnt going more than 6 hours without nursing.
    Thx so pumping doesn't count right for LAM? Therefore for certain once I go back to work I have to find an alternate BC? pooo
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

LAM doesn't work after 6 months of age, anyway, or after solids or bottles are introduced. At least not with the same effectiveness...

I personally would not rely soley on bfing for birth control. Just because your period hasn't returned doesn't mean your fertility hasn't. Enjoy your sleep though and know you've made several mamas jealous. My Lo was much older before I got 8 hours. Also know that your Lo's sleep pattern might change due to teething, crawling, walking, starting solids, etc. and its normal.
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

It's wonderful that you are found a sweet spot. Just don't count on it to last. It could....but if the night waking increase (and they probably WILL as soon as she starts to teeth) please don't bang your head against the wall wondering what you need to do to change it back. Sometimes they get a sweet spot in there between around 3&4 months. Because their tummies are finally big enough to hold more than 2hours worth of food and they haven't started trying to roll over and teething hasn't begun. But the restlessness usually picks up again when they begin to reach for a new physical milestone. And the increased night nursings with teeth come because they need pain relief and get it from the oxcytocin in your breasts. So if/when that happens don't spend any time beating yourself up. The only thing you can count on in terms of sleep the first year, is that it's going to CHANGE. Again and again and again. Just remain flexible. And enjoy it while it lasts!

Way too lazy for formula

Ya you're all right I should enjoy this whilst it lasts! We had a very rough first 4 months with colic, GER and failure to sleep in general...perhaps it's my sweet reward for all the hard work! I am literally on a high with all this adequate sleep

As an aside, we had vaccinations on monday so LO slept lots during the day mon & tues and basically fed a lot at night to make up for things. She seems in good spirits today so I hope we can go back to 6 or 8 hr stretches. I am still hoping I can go out Friday night, for my first night out over since LO came.

I know babies change, just when you think you've got it down pat they switch things up on you.

Also I had my first bite today she did it in a sort of playful manor. Ouch!!
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!