Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with Night Waking

Default Help with Night Waking

DS just turned 9 months, and until recently he had been sleeping quite well, waking between two and four times a night. But for the last two weeks he's been waking every hour, on the hour, and he wakes up positively screaming. Nursing usually calms him back down, but not always. During the day he's very clingy, and the slightest thing will set him off. I'm exhausted, and at my wits end. Nothing seems to help him sleep better. I don't think he's teething or going through a growth spurt, though he is very gassy and always has been.

He's still eating, though he tends to resist until he's sleepy or very hungry.

We've tried giving him gripe water, simethicone, warm baths, massage... we've even tried giving him a dose of Tylenol before bed. Sometimes these work, but usually they only lengthen the first stretch to two hours but not after, if they help at all.

I don't know how coherent this is, so I apologize if it's hard to follow. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by @llli*froggylogic; May 16th, 2011 at 10:18 AM. Reason: I forgot to add, he sleeps in a crib in our bedroom. He tends to thrash around when he's in the bed with us.
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss

Default Re: Help with Night Waking

He just saw the doctor this past Thursday, and his ears were fine then. He has no other symptoms of an ear infection.

I suppose it could be teething, he has been phlegmings lately, and very bitey. He just had his top two front teeth come in, I figured those symptoms were leftover from those teeth coming in. But I could be wrong.

I've tried giving him Tylenol before bed, and that helped a little... he slept two hours his first stretch instead of just one.
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss

9 mos is prime for lots of new skills and such, although I have found frequent waking with the crying often is due to teething or comfort - either too hot/cold problems. We found a huge difference with ibuprofen vs Tylenol. We also love our muslin sleep sack, which allows baby to self regulate temperature a little better.

If his nose is runny or he has the wet cough it's most likely those teeth.

We love our amber teething necklace which I got from a mommy on here. Sounds weird but it makes a world of difference for us.
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

Nine month sleep regression. My daughter had this, it lasted a couple of weeks and for her it was milestone related- she was learning to crawl. Once she got crawling down, she went back to sleeping through the night. It was the only time she would wake up and not go right back to sleep with a feeding or diaper change. She would get up and want to play! For hours