Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too early to start solids?

Default Too early to start solids?

Jack is almost 5 months old, and lately he has been grabbing food off of my plate, taking my fork from me if I am holding him and stuffing it in his mouth before I can get it away(yes, he is that fast!). This morning, Joshua was holding him and eating a banana, and the little bugger grabbed the banana and stuffed it in his mouth and began sucking it, and taking pieces off. I know, banana is not the best idea, but, he did it, not us, I swear! Is this just him going through that phase where everything goes into the mouth, or should I start offering him baby safe pieces? He doesn't sit up on his own quite yet, he is working on it, and he doesn't have the pincer grasp quite yet, it's another thing he is working on. I have no problem waiting until he is older to try things, but just wanted to get other mommy's opinions/advice. Thank you!
    I'm Sarah. Mom to Emily (1/27/05) and Jack (12/29/10)
    Wife to Joshua (3/6/08)
    We and

Default Re: Too early to start solids?

I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

What's wrong with banana? It's a great first food.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Is it?! I thought I had been told it was a bad idea! That makes me feel better. Especially since I definitely let him have quite bit.
    Wife to Joshua (3/6/08)
    We and

I know some people advocate waiting for all the signs of readiness before starting solids, but I personally feel that you know your LO best and if he really seems ready to you, you should feel free to go ahead even if he's not sitting unassisted or whatever.

One thing to keep in mind is that at 5 months you want to be offering tastes of solids, not meals. A couple teaspoons of food per day should be enough. You don't want to replace breastmilk in your baby's diet to any significant extent, since your milk is the healthiest food your baby will ever eat in his entire life and you want him to maximize his consumption of it.

If you're not quite ready to start solids, you may be able to keep your LO occupied during mealtimes by giving him a bowl and a spoon to play with. He might have so much fun that he forgets that he wants your bananas!

ETA: bananas and fruits are terrific first foods! No need to start with cereals. Just make sure you're offering mushy pieces that are not choking hazards. My kids have both dored entire peeled apples- they can pick them up and lick them, but they're too big and round for the baby to bite off a piece.
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; May 16th, 2011 at 10:28 AM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You're funny. I know the general rule is no sooner than 6 months, but if he grabbed the banana from you, shoved it into his mouth AND ate it - I would say he was ready for it.

The reason to wait a little longer is that your milk has more nutrients than the banana. Maybe people avoid it because it can be constipating? Avocado is also a very good first food.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thank you so much for the advice! I absolutely agree with him not getting more than a few bites at this point. By "quite a bit" I mean he had about 1 teaspoon, if that! The pediatrician was trying to tell me last week that once he hits 15 pounds he absolutely needs more than just breast milk. I just smiled and nodded at her. He had fun with his banana, and that will be it for the day. Now he is nursing for about the 6th time today and playing his foot while he does it!

Oh yeah, and I have no idea why she was saying 15 pounds to me, since he is only 12 right now.
    Wife to Joshua (3/6/08)
    We and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sarahandjack View Post
    The pediatrician was trying to tell me last week that once he hits 15 pounds he absolutely needs more than just breast milk. I just smiled and nodded at her.
    There's such a diversity of opinion on solids!!! My pediatrician would say that there's no nutritional need for solids until the baby is around a year old, and that up to that point solids are just for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills.

I don't know where your ped came up with that 15 lb limit. My girls grew FAST and were both EBF until around 20 lbs or so, and remained predominantly breastfed until at least a year. If I'd introduced solids at 15 lbs, I would have been trying to get them to eat them when they were barely4 months old!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

interesting ... my son is a week shy of 5 months, and at his 4 month check up he was a healthy and chunky 16 lbs 12 oz and ebf!! My son would have been under 4 months starting solids if my ped had recommended that.

my ped suggested 6 months unless he was "tiring me out by nursing too much." is that possible?? i do think my son is ready. he can sit (not long) unsupported, and meets all the other requirements, and LOVES watching me eat. i just am scared to start solids. the way he eagerly watches me and my husband i don't think he will want me much longer once he tastes it!
    I'm Donna
    Wife to my best friend Ronnie
    Mommy To:
    Colin born 1/1/11, 9lbs even - 22 inches
    Natalie born 4/5/13, 6lbs 9oz - 19.5 inches