Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not pumping enough...

Default Not pumping enough...

Hello. My baby is now 2 1/2 months and i started working again when she was 2 months. I had a good supply of frozen milk but in about a week she finished that off!!!!! I take my pump to work but because the kind of work i do i cant pump as much as a wanted to. so in a full day at work i pump 3 times a day and get about 16 oz a day. but now she eats a lot more than that per day. So my ped. told me to start mixing formula(similac advanced) to my breast milk(because she does not like just formula, i guess it tastes bad or something). and since then she hasnt pooped, its been 3 days and nothing. she has a lot of gas and seems to have some kind of cramping. the doctor told me to give her a suppository but i'm just not confortable with that.So... my question is, what can i do to pump more????? i want to give her just breastmilk but i'm not pumping enough!!!! And also, someone knows what can i do for her to poop???? or should i wait????? HELPPPPPP

Default Re: Not pumping enough...

First off, deep breath You can fix this. But a few things to think about first:

1) what kind of pump do you have? And is it working correctly? Most moms who are pumping at work need a professional grade pump (PISA, Freestyle, Hygeia, Lansionoh/Ameda). Make sure all the hoses and membranes are installed correctly and tightly enough.
    2) It does take some time to learn to let down well to the pump. So take things with you to look at and hold while you are pumping to remind you of your baby to help your letdown
    3) how long are you pumping at each session? 10-15 minutes may not be long enough
    4) how long are you away from baby? Most BF babies only need 1-1.5 oz per hour that they are separated from their mother. It's entirely possible that you are making enough, but baby is being overfed. 16 oz is a lot of milk for a baby to take if mom is away for a typical 8 hour work day.
    5) are you using breast compressions and massage while pumping? If you aren't, please do start. It really does help with letdown and production.

Mixing formula with BM is usually a really bad idea. It changes the taste, and once you do that, you have to use the BM mix -- no saving it -- so you might end up tossing out milk I would offer the BM first in one bottle and then offer formula in a second.

And it can make them constipated. Me, unless baby is truly uncomfortable, I don't worry about it. Many babies do change their poop pattern quite a lot. If baby is uncomfortable, I might do a suppository.

There's a whole section here on how to increase your supply that you might want to check out. Oatmeal, fenugreek-based teas and other herbs may be helpful to start. But many moms just need to work out a few kinks with pumping.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

16 ounces sounds like more than plenty. How long are you away from your baby? Are you using a newborn flow nipple on the bottles?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

w/ Susan and Tracie. How exactly are the bottles being given? I.e., four 4oz bottles, etc.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

ok....
    1. i have the petite pump from playtex. if its working correctly i dont know... its pumping milk.... so i guess works fine. I installed as the box told me to.
    2. i tryed to think of my daugther every time i pump but i dont see much diference, maybe i'm doing something wrong....
    3.i pump about 15 min or until i dont see more milk being pumped(that is what my job alows.....)
    4.most days our rotine is 5:30 wake up and have to wake up the baby so she can feed.
    then around 6:45 drop of at the babysitter
    come back around 5, sometimes 4 but mostly at 5....
    babysitter feeds the baby every 2 or 3 hours about 4 oz
    5. i do massage while pumping and most of the timewhile i pump one breast it leaks from the other.

for the poop i think she is not in pain, but i see her everytime i breastfeed trying to poop and she has a LOT of gas. how long can i wait to see if she goes on her own that is not going to be bad for her?????

I wold love to see how to increase the production. where can i find that????

Can you get a double pump? It sounds like you pump one sided?
    Tracie

Mommy to

I bet it's your pump. That's not an ideal pump for a working mom. I know it's a lot of money, but spend the money on a better pump, like a PISA. A Lansinoh is similar but only $150. The pump you have is really only meant for use once in a while, not a couple times a day.

The how to increase your supply section is further up the main page.

I had one baby who went 14 days between poops, and that was normal for him and he was 100% EBF.

That's a lot of milk to get every 2-3 hours Most BF babies only need 1 to 1.5 oz per hour that mom is away.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

How much are you pumping? It sounds like you supplemented your baby with your frozen milk... the freezer stash shouldn't really be used that way. If you pump 8 ounces today and your baby drinks 16, then that's 8 ounces that the baby isn't going to try to nurse from you. And you are not going to increase your supply that way.

I would get a double pump, make sure you're drinking enough water, and pump once in the morning at home if you need to. And I would also start sending smaller bottles.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Check www.bestbuybaby.com I got my new PISA from them for $210. That's a lot of $$, but waaaay less then you'll spend on formula.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I have a friend who has a medela pump that she is not using. does anyone thinks that one its better than mine?????
    She is taking 4oz bottles because if she gives her less than that she will keep on crying until she gets more. I didnt think it was bad because she is growing really fast. she was born 02/22/11 with 7lb 12 oz and 19in and 2 weeks ago she was 13lb and 26in. she went from using 0-3 months clothes to 6-9 month clothes in 20 days...
    I