Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Not pumping enough...

Default Re: Not pumping enough...

no one here has mentioned it (or I missed it) but babies often have a high suck need. This is easily fulfilled at the breast because they can regulate their suck depending on if they are food sucking or comfort sucking. But when they are bottle fed they keep getting food. My caregiver found that when DD was very small she needed a paci (which she never took with me around) to satisfy that suck need. They fed her 3 oz and tried the paci. If she took it and was satisfied they did not feed her more. If she would not settle with that they gave her the extra ounce. Did you try that at all?

So happy that you are getting a good pump from WIC. That will make pumping so much easier. I am really impressed that you get such good output so quickly from a single pump
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Default Re: Not pumping enough...

You're doing great mama! I think it's a great idea to try the pacifier after, but it is also possible that she wants to drink 4 ounces at a time. I might try to scale it back a little bit, say to 3.5 ounces per bottle, just because 20 ounces is a lot to have to pump every day.

But, you did say she is sleeping through the night. You might be able to pump less if you can try to get one or two more nursings in there. She'll need about 24 ounces a day, and right now it sounds like she's getting most of it at daycare.

I hope you like your new pump! I'm so glad you're going to get one.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months