Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not pumping enough...

Default Re: Not pumping enough...

How much is she eating total when you're away from her? And does she nurse at night, or sleep through?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ju146 View Post
    I have a friend who has a medela pump that she is not using. does anyone thinks that one its better than mine?????I
    Depends on the model. A Medela Pump in Style or Freestyle would probably be a lot better than what you're using now. Of course, how much better it is depends on how hard it has been used, since pumps do wear down with time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sorry took me so long to come back... life is CRAAAAZZZZYYYYY!!!
    Well... It depends on the day. some days she stays from 6:45 until 5 or 5:30. And she feeds about every 2 or 3 hours(its depends on her naps that are no so good yet)so thats about 5 4oz bottles a day. then some days i come back earlie and so on. And she is most nights sleeping all night long, most days from 9pm to 5:30 o 6 am.And i always breastfeed her before i leave her at the babysitter

And about the pump it turns out that it doesnt really work. its something with the cord that you conect at the outlet. i really want to buy a new pump for myself but right now i cant, money wise. because i'm moving so i had to give a 2.000.00 deposit and i still have to pay the rent and all that stuff so money is really thight. Is there any place that maybe rent pumps so i can rent one for a few weeks????? this way i can try diferent one and see whats best....

Most "over-the-counter" pumps are open-system, that is, single user pumps. You can rent hospital grade pumps, but that is going to be $60-70 per month, from what I've seen on these boards.

You aren't going to be able to try out different ones unless you have friends that are willing to share
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

i know other mamas have said this before... but 20 oz is a lot for 10 hours. REALLY. I would focus on feeding right before you leave and right when you get home. Make the bottles smaller and have the babysitter rock/walk/snuggle your baby for 15-20 minutes after those three ounces because it takes all of our brains at least that long to talk to our bellies.

Your pediatrician has no reason to tell you to supplement with formula, especially as well as your LO is gaining.

The first few months are so hard to get everything established, and it can be overwhelming. I really got a lot of good information from kellymom.com when i was first going back to work/pumping/nursing. It talks a lot about how much baby really needs to eat, over bottle feeding and gives good info on how to talk address caregivers who insist that baby is still hungry.

good luck! And keep up the good work.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Gosh, that's a lot of milk. A LOT. More than she would even take during a growth spurt. What kind of nipple are you using?

I had that problem with my first babysitter. Totally would overfeed the baby. Every time he opened his mouth, apparently, they shoved a bottle in there. I was gone for 4-5 hours, and they would feed him 12-14 oz of milk I switched sitters and changed to a Breastflow bottle, and the problem went away. Went to a much more reasonable 6-8 oz while I was at work.

You can rent a pump short term, and it varies in price from $45 to $75/month. If you contact a hospital, midwife, or IBCLC, they can all point you toward where to rent one locally.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Mama, great job on nursing and working! Sounds like you're doing a great job and really focusing on what you see your LO needing!

I agree w/ pp's. My DD's 7.5 months old. When she was 5 months, taking no solids and going through a growth spurt, she'd take 5 bottles of 3-4 oz each on a really 'hungry' day. Sounds like you're getting lots of milk at each session. Could it just be that she's used to nursing a long time for comfort and is missing that comfort after 'eating' since you're not around?
    I'd suggest (I'm repeating alot of other posts):
    1)check the nipples of the bottles. Be sure you have low flow nipples and ones that are designed for BF babies. We use the playtex drop in's.

2)ask the DCP if they can try holding, rocking or walking the baby around after nursing. Maybe they could use a sling so she'll have that familiar feeling of snuggling next to a person. Maybe even something you've worn so it smells like mom.

3) if you're still worried about getting more milk, I'd add a pumping session or two. I'm gone from home from 6:30 - 4:00 or 5:00. I pump first thing when I get up (before nursing) at 5:00. Then get ready for work and nurse LO right before I leave (around 6:00). Then pump at 9, 12 & 2. When she was going through a growth spurt, I started nursing one side in the am and added pumping sessions on the way to work (6:30) and on the way home (3:30). You might try adding a session or two to your pumping schedule.

Again, I really think you probably have enough milk and it's just a problem with either getting too much too fast. It's harder to control flow from a bottle, some more than others. She probably finishes the bottle long before she would finish nursing, so she's not getting the snuggly warm milk feeling long enough to settle down or fall asleep. DH watchs our LO, he had this problem for a while. they've sorted it out and she's getting used to snuggling with him. Plus he's being sure to lay down on the bed to snuggle with her while giving a bottle!
    Keep up all the good work!

Have you checked with you local WIC office to see about getting a pump? I just received a double Ameda Purely Yours breast pump for free and do not have to return it when done! You do have to show that you are working or going to school full time. I received a hospital grade pump to use with my daughter 5 years ago from WIC. They STRONGLY encourage breastfeeding and they go to great lengths to help you continue! My son will not take the breast I struggled for a long time with his latch now everything he drinks is pumped! I did try supplementing 2 oz of formula once a day so I could freeze what I pumped and he developed the worst diaper rash so bad he was bleeding, Similac Advanced, he also projectile vomitted everything he drank. The doctor said this was also normal for the transition, I had also tried Soy based to see if the reaction was any better, it wasn't he became constipated and now has an umbilical hernia from straining. I work 12 hour shifts and only pump 3 times a shift and I bring home 30 oz in the morning, I have found for me that eating oatmeal everyday, taking fenugreek, and using this video for help, I now pump 5 oz off each every 3 hours http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html. I was very frustrated to begin with but hamg in there it gets better!

First of all i want to say thank you to everyone for tying to help. I talked to the sitter and we tried giving her 3oz but she always cried for more and ended up giving 1 more oz.
    I am drinking a tea called milkmaid or something like that to increase the production but havent seen any difference at all. Good news is that i called the wic office close by and they are comming tuesday to help me increase milk production and the lady told me they will give me a pump. So we'll see how it goes.... thank you again....