Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help

Unhappy Help

My son Wyatt was born on 10/11 as a preemie. We spent a week in the NICU before we got to bring him home. While in the hospital I pumped and was able to bf him some. However, the staff had already given him a bottle. Since then my dr has told me to bf him and to supplement with a bottle. He says that eventually Wyatt will eat enough milk off of me, that he will no longer want the bottle. The thing is I can get Wyatt to nurse for 15-20 minutes (this is constant suckling) and then I offer him a bottle, where he proceeds to eat 2 ounces or more of formula. Since he eats so much from the bottle I am wondering if he is ever not going to need the bottle. I want so much to bf, but I am not sure what to do. Any advice you have would be great, just please don;t say don;t supplement b/c that is not an option for me right now.

Default Re: Help

my LO would not eat anything for the first 26 hours, and lost 1/2 lb in the first 48, so I was also told to suppliment. She was offered a bottle for the first week. I know it is frustration to think your LO isn't getting enough to eat. The only advice I can give from my own experience, is to try to get him to nurse longer, and slowly cut back on the amount of formula you are offering. He may want to eat more often, my dd was nursing every hour when I started cutting back the formula. But she did eventually figure out her own schedule and is now exclusively bf. Good luck to you both.

Do you have a breast pump? If so, you can pump and supplement with BM rather than formula. I understand your situation. I had many issues with DS wanting to BF. I lost most of my supply and had to supplement with formula. I would feed DS - BF first then bottle. After he ate, I would pump. It has taken me several weeks but it has worked. DS only gets one bottle of formula (about 3oz) per day! My supply continues to increase so DS gets more breastmilk. Good luck to you.

Just remember...it's supply and demand...the more you breastfeed, the more milk you will make. I formula fed my daughters and am now exclusively breastfeeding my son. Bottle fed babies can and will sleep longer between feeds then bf babies. You will have days where you nurse almost around the clock...and that is true for babies that have had supplement bottles, and those that haven't. You wont run out of milk. You can try pumping when he has his bottle, and that will ensure you keep producing milk while he has his formula. By the way, are you letting him stay on the breast for as long as he wants? If he is taking a bottle of formula after 15 or 20 minutes of constant sucking, see what happens if you leave him on the breast for 30 minutes. Also, are you switching sides? If he stops nursing on the first side, change his diaper to wake him up and then offer the other side for as long as he will take it.

I am trying my best to feed him at least every 3 hours and alot of times in between that as well. I try and feed him from both breasts and I do pump and give him that as a supplement as well. Today I spoke with my lactation consultant and told her I didn;t think I was producing enough milk. She told me not to be discouraged, but when she was helping me bf that she noticed something about my boobs, she didn;t specify what, that often lead to low milk supplies. She then recommended an herb to take and is sending me research on ot, so maybe that will help. Please pray for me.

I will pray for you...and the rest of us! We are all trying so hard to do the best for our little ones, and that is what really counts! It is so easy to give up..I know, I gave up very early with my girls...your doing everything right, so just hang there...your baby has a good mommy

Hi and welcome to the forum! You may also check out the section of these boards about increasing your milk for more ideas and encouragement. The plan that a PP suggested (breastfeed first on both sides, then supplement if needed, then pump) is a good plan to help get your supply up to meet your baby's needs. Is your baby back to birth weight and sucking well? If so (with ok from LC/doc), you can probably start to gradually cut back on the amount of supplement given, keeping an eye on wet and dirty diapers to make sure baby is getting enough. You should see at least 6 wet diapers and 3-4 bowel movements the size of a US quarter in every 24 hour period. If/when you start to decrease the amount of supplement given, the baby will likely need to eat more frequently for awhile. Did the LC weigh the baby before and after the feeding to see how much he is taking?

Is the herb that the LC suggested fenugreek? If so, I used that myself when dealing with a low supply and it was helpful. The Breastfeeding Answer Book lists 2-4 capsules 3x per day as an effective dose. Many mothers also use Blessed Thistle to help increase supply (alone or along with fenugreek).

I will also add that him taking a bottle is not a great indicator that he is still hungry. Most babies will take a bottle whether they are full or not and cannot help but to swallow whether they want to or not when a nipple is put into thier mouth with dripping milk. Diaper output is the best way to judge if he is getting enough. I agree with the pp- start cutting back on the supplements and watch his diaper output and weight gain. Keep doing whatever you can to build your supply- the best way is to nurse, nurse, and nurse some more- and I bet it won't be long before he is formula free.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

I agree with the pp's...I think one of them said this too, but I will add it again just in case:

Are you unlatching baby after 15 - 20 min. for his bottle? If you are, I would stop. IMO, I would let baby nurse from the breast for as long as he wanted...when he unlatches on his own, and that breast is empty feeling, switch breasts and let baby nurse as long as he wants again until he unlatches himself...then add the bottle after that while you continue to supplement. Another thing to consider, is to nurse more frequently. Try offering the breast to baby after 2 hours from the start of the last nursing session instead of 3. The more frequent nursing will build your supply and breasts don't need to "re-fill" like some old docs and old books indicate. There is always milk in the breast. If you nurse more frequently, its likely that formula won't be needed at all soon, as the difference between nursing every 3 hours in a 24 hour period (8 times) and every 2 hours in a 24 hour period(12 times) adds 4 extra nursing sessions.

Finally, the formula digests much slower than breastmilk, so ask your doc if you can switch to supplementing with BM in a bottle or just nursing more frequently...even every 1.5 hours if you can. That way, the formula digestion won't interfere with baby wanting more BM sooner, and your supply can increase more quickly.

Good Luck!

I am going to keep trying, b/c I know how important the milk is for Wyatt. In responce to your questions, I am trying to switch breasts at every feeding. I am also pumping in between feedings as well, and feeding him that milk when he doesn;t nurse for a long time. Also, I never pull him off the breast when he is feeding. I am not sure what drug the lc is recommeding b/c I haven;t got the info on it yet, but I will write when I do. It is just so frustrating b/c I want so much to feed my son completly, but I can;t.