Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Almost 12 months, clingy, won't take a binkie or bottle!

Unhappy Almost 12 months, clingy, won't take a binkie or bottle!

My son will be a year old on June 12th and I'm still breastfeeding. He eats a wide variety of solid foods and drinks 2 10-oz sippy cups full of water/juice (mostly water with just a bit of juice for flavor) a day. He's always been rather clingy, and he never took a bottle or binkie, which, while being frustrating at times for me, I took in stride. He has 8 teeth and I think he's teething again (getting canines on the top, but he won't let me get a really good look).

So, the problem is; he won't play for more than an hour without coming over and whining at me for a breast. I've tried. EVERYTHING. He still won't take binkies and now he not only won't take a bottle but he hates formula (we tried putting some in his sippy cup). The sippy cup is apparently not a replacement in his mind for the breast, because when I offer it when he comes for a feeding, he gets upset and will throw the cup, cry, hit at me, etc. He won't cuddle with me as an alternative, either, he just cries and throws himself around. I don't think I'd be so frustrated if it weren't for two things: he's hurting me, and it's not a "quick feed".

He leaves deep grooves in my nipple from his teeth, and today he actually drew blood. He's also not using me for sustenance, he will sit there and stare out the window, or try to put his hand down my shirt, etc. At night ( we co-sleep, which is about to end since we finally can afford a crib, but he does this sometimes during the day, too), he pinches me, hits me, kicks me and tries to play with my other breast. My husband is incredibly supportive and will give him naps (he doesn't sleep on his own, he has to sleep on one of us, which again, is going to change after we get his crib, and yes, I know it will be horrible, lol), but after 20 minutes or so he will wake up and cry and won't calm down until he gets a breast.

Lol...reading over this it sounds like he's abusing me! Honestly though, I can't do anything. Even when he's snoring on daddy's chest, I sit on the couch and stare into space, waiting, knowing that he'll wake up any minute and yell for mommy.

I wonder if any of you lovely ladies have had any similar experiences? Does it go away with time? I would be willing to wait for him to outgrow it, but at this point it seems like with every passing month it gets worse. HE is comfortable with the arrangement. Not only that, I'm trying to get into the Army and while my recruiter says people aren't shipping out until November, I still need to start weaning, and he's been incredibly resistant. Help!

Default Re: Almost 12 months, clingy, won't take a binkie or bottle!

For my little guy the canines were the worst teeth to come in. Sounds like your LO is coming to you for comfort becuase he is uncomfortable- which also explains the latch issues too. Have you tried giving him some tylenol and seeing if that helps? also have you had any extra stress in your life recently? I think that our LOs pick up on that more than we thing they do and respond usually by becoming more clingy.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

I finally got a good look, and he does have the teeth coming up on the top, his two canines. Looks pretty uncomfortable, too. I've been giving him tylenol, it seems to help his behavior, but this has been going on for months so I don't think teething is the entire reason.

You say it sounds like hes abusing you but it doesnt sound that way to me, it just sounds like youre overwhelmed... our babies are close in age (16/06/10) and my baby is kinda clingy too when were alone all day long, when he sees grampa or some other relative hed rather be with them lol, I dont take it personal, Im grateful hes not afraid of stranger and that gives me some me time when theres someone else available, but that rarely happens and when Im alone with him all day... it can get overwhelming for me too, he follows me to the loo and Im even afraid to close the door bc I dont want to hurt him when I open it, tehre are many things I do to keep him calm and entertained like changing his toys, does your LO sit by himself on the floor and just play? cause mine does but he gets bored of the same toys so to keep him interested I keep different baskets of toys and when the ones on duty dont do the trick I put them away and pour a new one on the carpet, also if Im trying to cook or do the dishes or just about anything in the kitchen I put him on the stroller (yeah we didnt get a high chair) and give him a piece of fruit or a cracker and that keeps him from following me to the kitchen and getting hurt or messig with the garbage can. I recently discovered that when he is extremely fussy and toys and food are useless, he maybe needs a walk, wether it is to take a walk on the park or to hold his hands while he practices walking, then he can focus on food or playing a lot better. My Lo Bf a lot more when hes alone with me and hes bored, I cannot even count how many times a day he asks for boob, he has two bottom teeth and he used to bite but whenever he did i said no and put him down for around 10 seconds and ignored him, then pickep him up and just kept going. My sebas wont take a pacifier or a bottle either, he will take juice and water or tea or anything that not my milk but he prefers a glass, I guess it makes him feel like a grown up ;D

It's ok to set limits, if he bites you you can put him down for a second. Doing that consistently will get the point across, hopefully! Also maybe distraction- does he like to get out for a walk, or look at/pet the family cat, etc?
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

also, getting your LO to sleep in a crib may be a lot harder than you have anticipated, have yopu consider night weaning?