Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I nursing DD too much?

Default Am I nursing DD too much?

Just a question for everybody...how often is too often for a 1 year old to nurse? I love nursing and dd usually eats at least 6-8 times a day. She eats solids 3 times a day, but not very much at each sitting. Every other kid I know this age eats way more solids (none of them are breastfed though). She would still rather nurse. DD weighs about 17.5 lbs, diaper output is good (5-6 wet diapers and 1-3 poops a day). Can any of you other mommas out there identify with me?

I just want to make sure she us not so full of breastmilk that she is not interested in solids. I offer solids prior to nursing, but i think she holds out for nursing:-) Is it possible to nurse her too much??

TIA for any advice or encouragement:-)
    ~Sarah

Married to the love of my life, Jordan

SAHM to Caleb (4/14/08) nursed for 19 months.
    Phoebe Grace (4/20/10), and 20 mths and counting!
    with #3, due May 2012

Default Re: Am I nursing DD too much?

Seems like my son was still nursing every hour or two through his second year. Ounce for ounce, breastmilk is the most nutrient dense food they could eat, so I think solid foods are for making up the gaps when breastmilk starts not providing enough for their growing bodies. I don't think it gets in the way of them eating. They'd have to eat a whole lot more mass of solid food to make up the nutrition in their breastmilk. Your situation sounds completely normal and healthy to me.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Sounds normal to me! DD nursed a ton from 1-2, and only just a few months ago started to slow down with nursing (she is 2).
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

If you asked my 19-month-old pediatrician, she would say she LOVES it when she hears a toddler still nursing that much. She told me she thinks a it's perfectly normal and even great that a 18-month-old still nurses 8-10x/day. She said she most often sees 1YOs down to 4-6x/day and she thinks that's not enough. When I told her I was often told (by other people including other docs) to nurse less so my daughter would eat more and gain more weight, she said she definitely didn't think nursing is getting in the way of solid-food eating.

My 19-month-old is still at 10+ times/day. My personal thinking is that I can only provide this invaluable breast milk for her during these first years, while she has the rest of her life for eating solid foods. So I will make the most of this precious time .

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...

Sounds like my DD at that age and I didn't/don't see a problem with it. Don't compare her to kids that aren't BF, it will drive you nuts. She'll gradually start eating more solids.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I haven't read all the replies but I wanted to chime in and say I nursed DS at least ten times a day at 1 year.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    I haven't read all the replies but I wanted to chime in and say I nursed DS at least ten times a day at 1 year.
    Heck I still nurse him ten times a day some days at 2!!!
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rcsmom View Post
    Heck I still nurse him ten times a day some days at 2!!!
    Me too! Joe was nursing like, 17-24 times per day at age one! Mostly at night!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

My daughter was barely eating any solids by a year and my son is 8 months and not really swallowing food yet. So another who it sounds normal to.

And just some food for thought (sorry for the bad pun) if you were being given formula, which I think smells disgusting and would never want to taste it, wouldn't you be taking more solids also?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I'm glad to read the replies on this thread since I've been wondering the same thing about my LO. she's also nursing about 10 times in 24 hr day and just turned 1, glad to hear we're normal!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog